Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

pred 90 ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pred 90 ??

i am in the market for a newer preditor 90 for my 8 year old he has been ridding a older 80 but he is the only one in the family that dosn't have a light and dosn't have electric start.i am slowly weeding out the older quads for newer ones.
i have been reading here and doing searches, but still have a few ??
is there a better year to look for ?
i see that the MSRP is like $2200 what should a used one go for ?
is there a better option then the preditor ?
i like it becouse it has the frunt A arm not the single frunt end.
my son is on a solid frame and it is the slowist in the groop so i'm wonting to get him a nicer quad he is the youngest in the family and his 80 is the 2nd quad that he has been handed down.
thanx vincent

PS if any one has one or knows any one that may be selling one in the nor cal area please let my know thanx

Old 02-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default pred 90 ??

I just got my son a GPX Raider 90 in December. Haven't got through the first tank yet (been cold and went on vacation) but happy so far. I was in California and went buy Unison and looked at the Desert Cat 90. This is the same thing as what I got, different name and stickers. Sorry can't compare to other brands as not familiar with them, just starting with these as my son wants the race quads this year instead of bikes. I looked at the Predator 90 also as we have a local dealer. Parts for me would still be mail order as the dealer doesn't carry any. Also I got the Raider for alot less $1350.00 shipped to Seattle. That's $1000.00 for upgrade parts to me. I think all of these are about the same with most parts interchanging.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default pred 90 ??

toy4rox,

By default, the Pred-90 brand doesn't come with a front light. The '05s do have reverse. To me, Reverse is mandatory for trail riding. IMO: Front Driving lights is mandatory on trails as well. The Pred-90 is a 2 stroke and does have lots of bottom end zip. It has lots of suspension travel as well. Some draw backs are their "high price" (compared to others in its range) and some say their frames "should be" re-inforced for extreme trail / racing conditions. Pred-90 doesn't come with a foot brake, which could be a high safety need for your young rider.

Before purchasing a Pred-90, do shop around. There are many other 90cc in the same class of mini that have the same or more / better features for less price. Some brands to focus on are: '05 Dinli, E-Ton, Kasea, Blast, Extreme, Kolpin, Desert Cat 90, etc. etc. '05 Dinlis (hitting the market now) appear to be very impressive. All these are good trail machines (each do have their pros / cons) but they can be easily upgraded when your young rider wants more power and/or suspension travel.

Sounds like you are into trail riding. So is my family. Regardless of what mini you do purchase, you "may" want to add a few immediate Trail Riding upgrades. For details on the Trial upgrades we installed on our Pred-90, surf: - Press Here -

Note: If I had to do it again, I would shop around much more. Back 2.5 years ago, the Pred-90 was the only "power level" Trail Riding brand in my area. Today, many more 90 brands are available in my area. Do shop around and focus on control / comfort and parts criteria. Some "low end clones" can't be upgraded very easily.

Hope this helps....

Old 02-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Range Rover
Default pred 90 ??

Spike is right, look around and find something you like and the kid likes. Just make sure there's a dealer that stocks parts and is familiar with the quads. Don't buy a no namer just to save some cash. All the quads Spike named off are worth looking at but I'd be careful of the deals that are cheap. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default pred 90 ??

Definitely shop around . I have a 2004 predator 90 I can't wait to get rid of. It runs great but does not hold up for long. My son is 12 and got it Christmas of 2003. He is an aggressive rider and our trails in New England can be pretty rocky and muddy. The machine is capable of climbing well and having good speed and take off but it is high high maintenance. The rear swingarm snapped 3days out of warranty, we,ve replaced the drive belt, rear skid plate twice, front and rear brakes, front shocks, front bushings and bearings, chain tension spring and roller, and various welds have let go and had to be re-welded all in 1 year. I'm not a big fan of this machine, and remember it is not made by Polaris, it is made for them by some korean outfit. Being that your son is 8 it might be o.k for a little while but I'd look into the suzuki 160(if they still make it). It had reverse, lights, a speed control and was only 2-300 dollars more than a pred 90. His next atv will be a 250 recon or ozark. Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:47 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pred 90 ??

Originally posted by: toy4rox PS if any one has one or knows any one that may be selling one in the nor cal area please let my know thanx
If I was in California, I'd probably be looking at a 4-stroke due to the "red tag" restrictions (like the Honda TRX90). Forget the electric start.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Range Rover
Default pred 90 ??

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Originally posted by: toy4rox PS if any one has one or knows any one that may be selling one in the nor cal area please let my know thanx
If I was in California, I'd probably be looking at a 4-stroke due to the "red tag" restrictions (like the Honda TRX90). Forget the electric start.
thanx to all, the input was great. i did forget that the pred was a 2 stroke and that we have that problum with them all my other quads are 4's.
we do have a suzuki 160 and 12 year old loves it. we allso have a kasea 150 thats my wifes but i don't like the plastics on it thay are very brittle and pull though the bolts.
i will do some more research.
thanx to all vincent

Old 02-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Range Rover
Default pred 90 ??

hey green jeans...how big is your kid....thats an awful lot of repairs.....you got me scared of mine now...

Old 02-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default pred 90 ??

Well I'v had great luck with our '03 pred. 90 we bought new last may! my youngest boy put over 600 miles on it trail riding with us in northern Wisconsin on the rocky/muddy/dusty trails. The only things I've had to do to it is replace the junk oe battery, and the usual maintenance... wash it/adjust and lube chain/adjust brakes and clean the air filter often. But it could make a difference that my boy is only 6 and weighs only 45lbs.-doesn't put a lot of stress on the suspension when he jumps.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default pred 90 ??

My son is 12 yrs old, probably about 5' tall , 100# soaking wet. He's pretty thin. I'd call him an aggressive but smart rider, trying to avoid obstacles etc. he'd like to push it but not really beat on it. he's done nothing that i wouldn't have expected him to do with it. I am pretty faithful on maintenance and I was surprised at how fast things started to wear. it runs fine but I feel that if we go on a long trip, i won't be able to trust it. Maybe I got a lemon, but i'm not comfortable with it's durability anymore.

Quick Reply: pred 90 ??