Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

50cc Predator Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 50cc Predator Mods

My son would like to race his stock 50cc pred. I looked at the mini regulations and they state that no modifications are allowed other than internal mods. No carb modifications at all. I think I was reading that correctly. He raced once last year in this class and the other racers had ATV's that were obviously not even close to stock. I want him to be able to compete with these bikes. I need some suggestions as to what works best with this little machine. Can I use a 70cc piston kit? Is this a llegal way to go? What pipes, carbs, intakes, clutch kits are best?
John

Old 03-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a suggestion, obtain a copy of the Rule Book and go through it "line by line" with one of the officials. Knowing the exact upper limits of what can and can't be done is the first step. Besides this, over buying / over upgrading something is a waste of dollars if you have to remove it later on.

Lots of things "can" be done to the Pred-50 brand. Based on previous posts, I've read that Billy Holt at WRH Racing billy.holt@wrhracing.com has helped many people within their Pred-50 brand. Installing a 70 kit, drilling out the muffler, etc. etc. are very common Pred-50 upgrades. Depending upon your racing conditions, you "may" have to install a Pred-90 fan & engone cover assembly when using a 70 upgrade kit. Something about open air cool cylinder over heats unless a fan system is used - depending upon the type of racing you do.

Is there a way you can get your hands on "the rule book"? Some have online copies of their book. Each Racing association has their own "unique" rules.

For "best parts", it all depends who you talk to. Some love using different brands of parts and mixing / matching them together. Some use only WRH Racing parts and some only use Hetrick Racing parts. I'm sure we each have our own favorite Performance Dealer. For best results, I would recommend you find a great Performance Dealer / Performance Consultant and "stick with them". Only they know how to "bundle" their parts together. Besides that, you get to save dollars on shipping costs when ordering many parts at the same time.

Hope this helps...

Old 03-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its according what your race orgnization allows. there are a few mods we at wrh have done but to tell you the truth the predator 50 will not be competative with the other 50's. they are considered a mini mini. we have put on a no rev cdi, high compression head, 70cc kit and am in the process of haveing a pipe built for the pred 50. problem is for racing there are no race shocks or a-arms for this quad, also the rear suspension is not a swing arm type. call billy holt at wrh racing. 251-675-9906

Mark

Old 03-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left a message for Billy Holt over at WRH racing. I called the track and they told me that as long as the quad stays at 50 cc I can modify it any way I want. I guess the 70 cc big bore is out, but a new cylinder with a higher compression piston is fine. Since this is his first machine and his first year of regular racing I think I want to stay with his predator even with its limitations. I just don't want him left in the dirt at the starting line only to see his competition pasing him around the track. That will only discourage him. If he continues his love for racing, and I think he will, I will get him a race machine for next year. I looked at Hetrick's website and that might be an option for next year. For this year he needs a little more power to fuel his interest.
John