Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

I rode an Akuma 200cc ATV today! quick review

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I rode an Akuma 200cc ATV today! quick review

It looked just like this (except red): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

I have been interested in these quads for months now. I first looked at them (on the internet, never in person) when I wanted a quad for my wife. I have never seen any of these Chinese quads bigger than a 110cc in person. I saw the owner riding it today at an ATV park. I just had to know how he liked it, so I chased him down. He was very nice and offered to let me ride it.

The appearance is cool, without someone standing next to it, it looks just like a Raptor. I think the ebay and internet sellers are taking advantage of this and not showing how small these quads really are. They should show it with a rider of known size on it or even next to it. Its like a 3/4 scale Raptor.

The first thing is that the 200cc ATV appears to be almost identical in size to the 110cc ATV (which I think is identical to the 90cc versions).

It started easily with electric start (several times as I stalled it more than once), but it idled kind of high.

While getting on it I accidentally kicked it into reverse and it nearly shot out from under me! The thing has a stupid cruiser style shifter. You can see it in the ebay auction pics. It's a SHORT distance between the front peg and the back peg. I had on fairly new riding boots that are not very broken in, so it was hard for me to feel the shifter. The pattern was 4 down and reverse was 1 up from neutral. There is no secondary reverse **** or switch...well thats not true...there is an electric button on the handle bars that says reverse, but you don't need to press it to pop it into reverse. Why is it there?

The rear tires are too small. I am 90% sure they are the same size as the 110cc version (18x?x?). The ground clearance is <3" I think a set of 20" tires (maybe from a Blaster) would be a welcomed addition. The little quad wrapped out 4th gear quickly, I think larger rear tires would add 10% more speed with almost no change in acceleration.

It did not have dual A-arm front suspension so the camber and possibly the toe chances with bumps. The steering is WAY TOO FAST! When I first turned it at speed I nearly put it into a ditch. I rode it on a paved road and it was VERY twitchy at speed.

The power is good, no where near the 350 Warrior I was riding (duh) and considerably slower than my wife's Suzuki Z-250. I suspect the horsepower is close to a Suzuki 160??

Oh yeah, it smelled funny. Hahah...It smelled EXACTLY like the inexpensive pocket bikes from Pep Boys. Probably some sort of manufacturing cosmoline (spelling?) protectant or something.

Overall I think the 90 or 110cc versions are probably good for <14 yr olds (assuming the steering is not so quick) but the 200cc with its added power has grown past the chassis.

I'd love to check out the new 250cc Redcat/Yamoto/Kazuma clones when they come out on larger frames with dual A-arm front suspension.

Aaron

Old 10-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I rode an Akuma 200cc ATV today! quick review

I have a 2005 Akuma 200cc.

Bought it used and got what I paid for Japcrap.

Anyways the first day it ran great for a few hours. Next day I took it around the lot and it died. Doesnt want to run since. It will only run with full choke on and giving it gas. Checked sparkplug and the tank. Removed carb and had it refilled with gas. I wonder if there something in the kill switch on the left handle bar.

Any help me great. Cant find any parts and dont have a manual.

Thanks