Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain tensioner

Does anyone know of an aftermarket chain tensioner for the 150cc atv's? This is what the factory chain tensioner looks like. I just thought there might be something better to replace it.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default chain tensioner

That looks like a really cool spring loaded chain tensioner.

Why do you want to replace it? Is it too soft, too tight or are you looking for something better?

Old 09-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Range Rover
Default chain tensioner

I would like to replace it because it jumped out from under my chain and took a bite out of my swing arm. I have also been waiting for 4 weeks for a replacement from my dealer.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default chain tensioner

With the chain roller on the top, I can vision this happening. For those who install smaller front sprockets, I've seen pictures of a plastic chain roller on the top of the swing arm area. If I remember correctly, it has steel brackets that bolt to the rear of the engine. However, I'm sure the support brackets could also be welded to the swing arm's main support bar. Thus, the top of the chain doesn't move and the lower spring tensioner takes the slack out of the chain. To me, having fixed roller on the top and the spring roller on the bottom is better. When the rider "guns" the engine, the top of the chain remains tight. The bottom of the chain is where the slack is. If you want to weld a fixed plastic roller to the top of your swing arm, I'm sure a plastic roller can be purchased from most motocross shops.

Note: If the chain jumped once, it will probably jump again. Letting the dealer replace with factory parts might or might NOT work in the long run.

Hope this re-engineering idea helps....

Old 09-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Range Rover
Default chain tensioner

Well, I know it will jump again. I am either gonna get rid of it and get a bigger one or get a bigger one and give it to my fiancee's brother and get rid of his 110

::edit:: In which case I will still be looking into an alternative for that chain tensioner. ::edit::

Old 09-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default chain tensioner

If you lost faith in its "cool looking" factory design and have a welder guy in your area, you may want to install a fixed plastic roller system on the top (near the swing arm) and "make fit" an HPD Spring Loaded chain tensioner on the bottom. If it was me and selling to a person you know, I'd fix it right - before selling it. For a picture of a universal fit HPD tensioner, surf: http://www.hpd-inc.com/misc.htm

As another suggestion, visit many ATV / Motocross showrooms in your area. Look at their Spring Loaded chain tensioners to determine if its a better fit for your ATV. Who knows, you may get lucky and find an inexpensive "bolt on" system from a different brand. Thus, only need to install a fixed roller on the top - if the chain rubs the swing arm in a stopped / no rider position.

Hope these ideas help as well...

Old 09-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Range Rover
Default chain tensioner

The only places that are in the area are the 2 redcat dealers and the honda dealer and all the honda stuff is shaft driven anyway. So it looks like having something fabbed is the way to do it. What kind of roller system did you have in mind?

Old 09-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default chain tensioner

There's lots of different systems and pictures within the many drill downs within:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&as...G=Search&meta=

To me, a fixed position roller on top of the swing arm but under the top of the chain (re: chain is ontop of the roller). This will stop the chain from rubbing on the Swing Arm bar - if it's needed. If there's lots of spring within your existing lower Chain tensioner, it might work "as is". As seen in the many pictures, the lower spring loaded chain tensioner is the same "design concept" as the above HPD Chain tensioner.

Hope this helps...

Old 09-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default chain tensioner

Found the engine mounted "fixed chain roller" picture for you....

Surf: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...62866442bOjBlZ

If your chain rubs the top of the swing arm bar, have the chain on top of the roller. Roller would have to be mounted much lower.

If your chain rubs the upper frame bar, then have the roller as in this picture.

Hope this helps...