Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Looking for a dependable youth quad

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a dependable youth quad

Weekend warrior a question for you...What model are you referring too and what website can I find this vehicle..It would help out alot, i was looking into the Tomoto brand called Stinger..I really don't want to go to the major brands because of the excessive prices and heard of good things from these smaller companies....Thanks Brian

Old 10-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

I purchased a Honda TRX90 for my 7 year old son and I must say that it is one sweet machine. Sure it lacks disc brakes, remote kill switch, shaft drive, and all the other goodies that the other's offer. But it does have that 90cc Honda engine that's been around for over 40 years.
It's a dependable little engine that will pull him(65 pounds) and me on back(180) around with no problem.
I have it goverened to a top speed of about 12 mph and he has mastered shifting from 1st to 2nd in less than one day.

Check out the picture of him on it in my gallery.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

These days the only "Bad" quad is the one that spends all of it's time in the garage or shop. ALL machines break parts. Given the environment they are used in.. you can have zero problems, or a nightmare.

The issue is in the availablility of repair parts and trained technicians. The reason the major brands cost more, is obvious. The overhead is higher because they employ so called professionally trained mechanics, have parts inventories that would pay for the average home in stock, and if the local dealer doesn't have the part, they can usually get it over-nighted in a pinch. That can't be said about many of the gray market machines.

The point is this, if you are handy and inventive with the wrenches, and are not concerned that parts may take longer to float accross the water, so be it. The gray market machines do one thing very well. They introduce many people to the sport that would not necessarily get involved. And having one more voice involved as a proponenet of the sport is a good thing.

Like it or not.. statistically speaking, eventually all the persons who DO start on a lessor named brand will gravitate towards the major brands for no other reason than for ease of maintence and parts availability. Once they get hooked.. they are usually hooked for life.

I say Welcome to all who enjoy the sport.. no matter what label is on the side of the machine.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

Here is a link for a video of the 90cc model. This is the same one that most dealers carry like bmx powersports, wicked rocket and so on. They just have their own name put on the quad. My neighbor has this quad and it is a cool little bike. We just ordered one for my daughter. Built pretty tough. Everyone is right though, make sure you change the oil and go through all the bolts. If you do that, you will be much better off. I also understand that Raceway is a great place to start for one of these. Even if you don't initially buy a quad their, I've heard he's been pretty helpfull for replacement parts. Good luck and enjoy the video!

http://operation-uvs.com/ATV.mpg

Old 11-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I bought my 9 yr. old daughter a Lt80 last night, so now I just need a 50cc quad for the 4 yr. old. If anyones selling one or know someone that is let me know. I'm still looking into the Odyssey SE 403 for her, but I'm in no hurry.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ddrumman2004
I purchased a Honda TRX90 for my 7 year old son and I must say that it is one sweet machine. Sure it lacks disc brakes, remote kill switch, shaft drive, and all the other goodies that the other's offer. But it does have that 90cc Honda engine that's been around for over 40 years.
It's a dependable little engine that will pull him(65 pounds) and me on back(180) around with no problem.
I have it goverened to a top speed of about 12 mph and he has mastered shifting from 1st to 2nd in less than one day.
So. you mean the little SunL has all of those options plus the same engine that your son's atv has? You might want to go look under the plastics of one of the chinese quads before you attack people. I guess if a dealer flaked I could buy the same parts as your honda dealer for 3 times the price if I need too?

Old 11-13-2005, 04:18 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: ChinaRider69

You might want to go look under the plastics of one of the chinese quads before you attack people.

Am I missing something here?

I don't see anywhere he is attacking anyone.

But you, Yeah.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey C7me...it is a small world, I am from Bonney Lake as well, and I believe we bought our quads from the same place!!!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer

im 16 and i just got rid of my raptor 80 and i had it since 05 it was the best 80cc i think on the market! it has a semi-manual clutch system! kids could still learn how to shift without having to pull the clutch!

-------------------------------------------------
06 wolverine 350
(brothers) raptor 80

Old 12-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ChinaRider69
So. you mean the little SunL has all of those options plus the same engine that your son's atv has? You might want to go look under the plastics of one of the chinese quads before you attack people. I guess if a dealer flaked I could buy the same parts as your honda dealer for 3 times the price if I need too?
I have to ask you also.....where am I attacking anyone? I did a lot of research on here and other forums and I just made the decision to buy the Honda myself without asking anyone for advice on it. I could have bought a Chinese built quad for him but I didn't and if I paid too much then that's my problem.
Does the SunL have a Honda built engine or is it Honda clone? I guess I really don't understand your post.
But I don't think I was attacking anyone on their purchase of a Chinese built quad.

It's my opinion that the Chinese will be a force to be reckoned with in the future. They will no doubt compete with the Japanese when it comes to anything from atv's to cars to electronics and more. When they do, I doubt you will see 500 dollar quads from them anymore.

Buy what you can afford.

Thanks Raptor!

Quick Reply: Looking for a dependable youth quad