Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help choosing a little man ATV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choosing a little man ATV.

The SunL 95 auto is very fast. The three of us drag raced, and the 95 beat the yamoto 150, and was really close to my Honda 250. I agree with the SunL 50 or 70, but 2nd gear is better for beginners. My buddy taught his 5 year old on a 50 in second.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lawdog thats why I recommend the 50cc meerkat. It is a 4 spd semi auto that you can pick the gear for him. It has alot of power and very quick. With it throttleed it still has the torque to get him moving without the speed. It really is a great little atv. Not much to it, very tough, looks great and is durrable. I would not get any of the SUNL automatics because they are geared too low and with it throttled back it has no power to move. I have had and still have some of these chinese atv's and the 50cc may be the most durrable.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

when my son was 2 he rode wheelies on the electric so i got him an lt 50 and had to push him across the yard it was slow. after 2 years of learning and going faster and faster now i have a highly modded lt50 that hauls and he can handle all of the power. i would not recomend any parent doing the same thing i did. start them off slow no matter what the cost factor is. spending a few dollars later in life is a whole lot cheaper than a trip to the e.r. make sure the kid can listen to what you have to tell them if they dont pay attetion make sure you are right beside them all the way. every weekend i have 6 or 7 kids riding at my house and they all are learning from each other and becoming better riders.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

There is allways the option of the electric version that Gander mountain sells, its a 12vlt system but not the weak the powerwheels version,but one built on the same platform as the 50cc only difference is the electric motor, price is around $350 motor is real torquey and has good speed anf climbing ability

Old 02-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Range Rover

Just to be clear, most Sunl's are 4 speeds, auto clutch, but you can buy single speeds.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kazooooma, et al,

Regarding that most sunl's are 4 speeds with auto clutch, we bought a 70 cc sunl from raceway for my 7 y.o. for Christmas. It seems geared a little high at times but for the most part, does really good and we're very happy with it. Anyway, raceway's description of the 70 describes the transmission as a "four speed fully automatic" it then goes on to tout the virtues of a geared unit over an auto (the 50cc is described as a semi automatic). The 70 is definately fully automatic, it is the 4 speed part that I seriously question. I cant hear/feel it change gears.

Is anyone familiar with this transmission and what it really is?

Thanks,

Rodney

Old 02-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rodney, that is a typo when you see 4 speed fully automatic. I dont think I have actually seen a SunL with a semi auto tranny. All that I have seen are describes as fully automatic. What they do is take the semi auto tranny, put it in second or third gear and take the shifter off. This is why they feel geared too high. You dont have the low end of the 1 or second gear. So you wont feel a shift. True fully automatics are belt driven cvt trannies. All the smaller chinese quads are gear driven one way or another. This is thier concept of a fully automatic trans. The bigger 150 and 200cc chinese quads are belt driven cvt trannies. These are real fully automatic quads.

KAZOOOOMA explain your thinking of the 4 speed auto clutch. Do you mean 4 speed semi auto? There is no such thing as 4 speed auto clutch.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

THERE IS A KAZUMA 4 SPEED AUTO CLUTCH MY LIL CUZIN HAS ONE THEY R REAL NICE. HE HAS THE 90CC AND IS 3YRS OLD AND IT FITS HIM PERFECT. YOU CAN ADJUST THE GOVENOR AND YOU CAN SET IT TO WHERE HE CAN ONLY GO TO A CERTAIN GEAR.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

We bought a XL50 from john at raceway..... Great little quad , even better customer service !

Old 02-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2many,

Like you say, I had thought that the transmission must essentially have one gear installed with an automatic clutch. As to the "typo", its in the description and in the specs - probably more of a miscommunication with whomever put the page together. In any event, it's fairly misleading, I relied upon it to some extent in choosing between the 90cc and the 70cc, especially given the number of complaints about the auto's lack of power.

On the other hand, the available power of the 70 is not too bad - certainly not as bad as that described by many with auto minis described in other threads (such as wont pull over a brick, wont go forward if stopped on an incline). The sunl 70 will do those things without trouble.

My older daughter has a baby falcon 110. It has 3 forward and and reverse. The sunl 70's transmission approximates the 110 in second. Of course the 110 has a little more hp, but the gearing seems about the same.

Rodney

Quick Reply: Help choosing a little man ATV.