Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Headlight kit-03-05 predator 90

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight kit-03-05 predator 90

I just got done installing the headlight kit from polaris on my boys '05 predator 90. I got the kit from my local dealer, and although it was a little expensive-$80.00- I think it was well worth it because it was very easy to install, replaces the fake headlights on the '03-'05 models, and it looks factory because it is! They are meant to be "daytime" running lights... but I was very suprised at how bright they are. I only wanted them so that he would be more visible to other riders when trail riding with me in dusty conditions, and he definitly will!!! Great upgrade! Dan.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many thanks for sharing your success of installing the '06 Predator 90 light assemblies in your '03 Predator. Sounds like things are working great for you. If you want brighter lights, you may want to replace the 5 watt light bulbs within 16 watt bulbs. Found this statement another forum: "Sylvania bulb set number 921 ( LL, if you want the Long life version due to the always one mode of the lights). They are rated at 16 Watts per bulb as compared to the measely 5 Watts of the stockers. " This upgrade will make your lights a little brighter. Especially if you get caught in a dark bush at sunset.

Like you, I also believe that ALL minis should have DRLs (Daytime Running Lights). They definately increase "TO BE SEEN WITH" safety during the daytime. Especially for dark bush riders like my son's riding conditions.

You are right. Those '06 Predator 90 light kits sound pretty expensive. If one doesn't have the spare dollars and still want DRLs, one can install MR-11 automotive fog lights. We installed 2 x MR-11 lights on our '03 Pred-90 and mounted them in the spare shock towers. For us, this worked. Both lights can be 10 watt bulbs or one can be 10W and the other light a 20W. Thus, staying under the 32 Watt limit of its factory stator. And, these MR-11 lights are around $40.00. For picturs of our DRLs, surf:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...52910875YvhgRb
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...52910875AHxNQe
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...52910875iKnBSm

Many thanks for sharing your DRL install solution.

I'm sure each DRLs install solution will work on the Pred-90s.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks spike, I will have to check out the 921 bulbs you mentioned also. Where did you buy your 53mm engine upgrade??? I've been looking into a billet or other cylinder head to increase the compression a little, but I'm not sure who is the best... i;ve found Hetrick, lucky 7, WRH, Koso, reimerminiatvracing, and others all have engine kits and pipes, but I'm just not sure who's is the best. Thanks, Dan.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider

Obtained our 53mm engine upgrade kit from Billy Holt at WRH Racing. His site details are:
http://www.wrhracing.net/contact_us

As a suggestion, surf his site (re: http://www.wrhracing.net/engine_kits ) and determine what Warp Package "might" work best for you. Before buying, give Billy a direct call. Inquire / confirm which kit would really work best for you and your unique riding conditions. Also ask about Porting vrs non-ported. Biggger CC engine vrs more compression, etc. etc. In the end, he may recommend a proven Warp package or suggest a custom Warp package just for you.

If wondering, Billy did recommend certain parts for my unique riding conditions. He was one of the few Performance Consultants who said, "ya - your chosen upgrades would work but for your unique riding conditions, I would recommend customized xzy. This bundle will would work much better.". Very few Performance Consultants failed to take the time to ensure "the glove" is properly fitted for one's hand (sort of speaking). When it comes to performance gains, one gloves does NOT fit all.

I'm not too sure who's the best Performance Consultant in the Racing market. re: WRH Racing, Heticks, Lucky 7, etc. etc. One could probably debate this question for many years, or until one of them retires. (smile). I can tell you one thing. One may have the "best parts" but if certain parts are not matched properly for one's unique riding conditions, the end result could be "fruit cocktail". In layman's terms, less performance gains then a pure stock system.

Hope this helps....

Old 03-02-2006, 05:26 AM
Pro Rider

DANO38,

If you are into racing (especially at the national level) and are looking for "the best of the best" Performance Consultants who has the best parts, may I suggest you pull the stats on every racer in the last 3 years who came 1st, 2nd and 3rd in every race (of your same class). Determine what parts they are using and match their base parts. If they are winning the races and the same parts supplier is in the winner circle, then one would assume their parts are "top notch".

If into extreme trail riding, then having the best of the best parts in a mini isn't too critical. Meaning, trail riders don't also need to get every ounce of HP / performance out of their system. The unique riding conditions is focused more on "best buy for the dollar" for Suspension, Low end Power and Safety increase (like DRLs, whip flags, smooth ride, quiet piles, etc.).

Hope this helps as well....

Old 03-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks spike! I always like to do business with someone who takes the time to answer all my questions and shows they really care about the customer!!! I'll probably give Billy Holt a call. Dan.