Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

setting giovanni 50 cc valves

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting giovanni 50 cc valves

HI, Tried setting the valves on my sons 50 cc. I'M just learning about bikes. Bike engine needs to be cold. I'm i correct a 4 stroke has 2 compression cycles ? So if i turn the crank i want to see intake valve open then close and then turn crank until i hit top dead cntr mark? This is when i would set the valves. In the sight window i have a F and a T. I assume T is tdc. Also are there special feeler gauges for bikes ? If so , are they a special item only available at bike shops? I kept bending and cutting mine and still having trouble getting them in. Almost need something L shaped. Thanks, J.R.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

The "F" mark is your "firing" mark for the ignition timing. You are correct in that the "t" is for TDC. Rotate to the "T", and both valves should have no pressure on them, you should be able to wiggle or rock the rocker arm slightly. If not, your on the wrong stroke, just rotate to the "t" again. The feeler gages are only .006(intake) and .008(exhaust), I just used standard gauges and bent them at an angle, and had real problem of getting them in. It is easier if you stand the bike on the rear end(maybe have a helper hold it for you). Hope that helps you some.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bullriderss,

Try these sites for the info your looking for.

Basic Valve Adjustment

Tappet Feeler Gauges

Tappet Wrenches

Valve Spec.

Good Luck.

SB.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi bull and crazee,

I've been reading the threads on these Giovanni ATV's as I am soon to receive one for my kids any day now. From the sounds of it, I will be changing the oil, sparkplug and removing the carb gel pack prior to sparking this thing up. And perhaps the valves should be checked right away as well?

How's the bike running bull? Adequate power? Any other thoughts?

Brian

Old 05-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Trailblazer

Hi, Thanks for all the help guys. Will try standing it on end. Will also check out the sites posted. Y es i changed the oil and plugs right away after reading the other threads. I keep hearing about the gel pack. I have no idea what that is or what it looks like. I have 2 bikes, 1 for my 3 yr old son and 1 i putt around on. Been only riding on flat gravel roads and they seem to be fine. Be awhile before the boy is ready for hills. Just couldn't justify spending thousands on a real bike for me, to putt around beside him at 5km . More than enough power on flat roads, even for me at 220 lbs. Need to find some hills and see if its still got power. First bike got flipped over during shipping, what mess of oil over everything. Second bike had a bent needle valve in carb, john replaced asap with new carb for $10. Had them both about a month or so. No serious problems . Did notice that 1 bike chain is tight then really loose, with back end proped up any giving it gas. Ran out of time to investigate further last night. Rear sprocket looks like its off centre, but yet it looks centered. Something is off cntr, chain shouldn't be tight and really loose. For the price and what we need them for, I think they are excellent so far. Will have to see what time brings. PS forgive my spelling its 5 am, getting ready for work