Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

06 TRX90?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 TRX90?

Ok I'm about to get my 6 year old a 06 TRX 90 do you think it will be to big for him? He is a very quick learner also. I was a little concerned about the shifting, But he should be able to pick it up quick. Or would you go with an auto. Suzuki 80 or Kawasaki 80 auto? What do you think?

Old 05-10-2006, 08:59 PM
xtc
Range Rover
Default 06 TRX90?

Just got my son(8 yrs old) a new 06 trx 90,depending on his height(my son is short for his age)he shouldn't have any problems.The trx also has a throttle limiting screw which will keep the power in check until he is able to get the hang of it.My suggestion to you though is to go to the dealer without him when you buy,I don't know about all dealers, but our local one will not sell the quad to you if your buying it for anyone under 12(warning sticker on quad)My son has outgrow his kazuma 50 and this a great step up.One thing I did miss reading in the manual is if you do remove the throttle limiter and replace it with the cover screw provided,be sure to remove the rubber cap on the intake of the airbox(limits air intake when used with low limit set screw(throttle))or the quad will knock and stall when throttle fully opens..ride safe

Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 TRX90?

Ok, I have had many quads in the past for myself, But it gets me thinking when it my little boy if you know what I mean. He is very experenced for his age, But I don't want him to be scared drivng it either. How is easy is the shift lever for the little guys to pull up?

Old 05-10-2006, 09:29 PM
xtc
Range Rover
Default 06 TRX90?

Not too bad(better than my recon)but sorry to say,He hasn't got his quad yet(his b-day is this weekend and it's stored over at friends house)but,when he sat on it at the dealer,he had no problems getting into first and back to neutral again(this was also the same time I learned that the dealer would not sell to me if it was for him but I should come back alone then they would be happy to deal(figures)I really believe your son won't have any trouble shifting.It may take a little time to develope the leg muscle but when he gets it,he will have already learned to shift and will be able to do so buy listening to the whine or lug of the engine plus,in my opinion,this knowledge gives the rider better control over the quad verses fully auto quads the don't seem to have enough back pressure to slow quads down quick enough especially downhill.Also,it comes set-up so that he would be able the putt around in first gear if needed while learning without being able to wind it up(throttle screw).

Old 05-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 TRX90?

Great. Thanks alot for the help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. He is very excited about getting it.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 TRX90?

My son is now 8 but I bought him a 06 TRX 90 back in October. My son has Asperger's Disorder and I was a little leery at getting it for him but he drives that thing like it's a part of him.
He started off driving around in 2nd gear with the throttle screw turned in and after a month, he was shifting from 1st through 3rd.
Other than being cold natured, especially in cold temps, the machine runs flawlessly. He is 50 inches tall and weighs around 70 pounds and it will pull both of us around the yard with no problems. I weigh 185.
I have also topped it out at approx. 42 mph with a GPS.
Other than an oil change and chain cleaning, I have done nothing else to it as far as maintenance. It's a great little machine.
Edit:
Second gear is better than first for putting around as first is geared low.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 TRX90?

After doing a little research I found that the Honda TRX90 is not the best kid friendly quad out there. I was dead set on buying one (after all I love Hondas), but after looking at a few others I decided on the Polaris Predator 90. It has better suspension, auto tranny, electric start w/ backup kick, reverse, strap on kill switch, comes with a free helmet, more power, and they are less expensive.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 TRX90?

check out the DRX-50

We have one. It is very powerful, nice pipe, well made, lots of aftermarket parts, basically shares frame with polaris...but it is 40 inches wide from the factory. This is a BIG deal. It is an extremely stable bike, and with the stock pipe, it is very fast.

The only thing you need to do is make sure you get the dealer to replace the "stock-low-rev cdi" with the "stock-high-rev cdi"

my boys really love their. We are using it for stock class MX.

A 90 really is a lot of bike for a 6 year old, but if you must have one, the drx comes in both 50 and 90. Also, if you really want a 4 stroke, and have money to spare, the look at the new Xtreme typhoon.

thx
3of5

Old 05-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 TRX90?

I checked out the Polaris and I have heard many bad things about the quad. Alot of problems if you go threw water the stator quits. I have nothing but good things on the honda. I am not brand loyal anymore, But I started out many years ago on a Honda's so I guess I will give it a shot for my little man. How do you like the 450R by the way? Did you put the HRC kit in it?

Old 05-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 TRX90?

I personally am a Honda fan and I dont think you can go wrong with the TRX 90, I went with the Polaris because I liked all the options. To answer your question about the 450r, I absolutely love it. I bought it new in stock form and didnt bother with the HRC kit. I have since put a new UNI filter and HMF pipe with the torque range modifier installed. For me it is so fast and smooth that I dont think I would like like to add any more power. I already ride borderline to the limits that I am comfortable with.

Quick Reply: 06 TRX90?