Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

sunl mini 90 not good in sand

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunl mini 90 not good in sand

its great for hard packed dirt but wont go in sand, tires just dig down and spin. i guess there to small. my son who is 6 wants to go in sand like i can on mine. dont want to buy any thing to big for him. any suggestions?

Old 05-29-2006, 04:31 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've yet to see a stock 90 I was impressed with in sand. Especially if you kid doesn't understand the concept of momentum. You need power. And for sand, a modded 2-stroke is the way to go. I'd sell the sunl.

DRR DRX or Xtremem Pro Shark would likely be the ones to look at without additional mods or a Polaris, Eton, Kasea, Dinli, Xtreme, Unison with a few mods. You just can't beat these scooter engines in sand.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Range Rover

I just got a kamodo 110. It has a three speed and does all right. The sand is a 7 hour drive for us. Should I bother taking it to the dunes for my kids?

Old 05-29-2006, 11:02 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

I've seen a few 110's with paddles. They do OK on the small stuff.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

that's what I am going for is just some small stuff. The LT50 wouldn't do it because of the clutch last year. Do you think that they will need paddles? We all run without on the adult quads. We only get to the dunes once a year.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:22 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

I think they will struggle at times without paddles. For me, it was a question of how many times was I willing to get off and push? You may be more energetic than me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

There is a reason you see so many 8 year olds on adult machines at the dunes. The mini's tend lack power in stock form. And sand robs HP. I stuck my 6 year old on a 90cc (instead of a 50) thinking it would have plenty of power for sand. Wrong. But 2 years and many mods later, she's tearing the dunes up. It can be done on a machine that is light and fits them.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

Mabey I am a bad person, but I think that the boy could handle my wifes trailblazer in the sand. The girl is nowhere near ready yet though. It would be nice if she could put around on the 110 solo. She usually rides with me, more proof that I am a bad person.

I could get off and push a few times I guess.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:49 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

I wouldn't say you're a bad person. You know your kids. But God forbid should mine wreck, I have a hard time dealing with a 200 lb machine rolling on top of them much less a 400+. That's why I want mine on a mini for now, until she shows an ability to consistantly make good decisions. Then she can have my EX.

And I tend to toate around my youngest with me too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the replies, but dont take this the wrong way. i want an atv that a 6 or 7 year can ride in the sand. he can drive my wifes 250 recon in first gear without any problem. he can do donuts and small jumps on the mini 90 in hard packed dirt but i have it governrd at half speed because these things really haul ***. thanks

Old 05-30-2006, 10:15 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Thought that's what I was telling you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: sunl mini 90 not good in sand