Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Predator 50 Need increased speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator 50 Need increased speed

My son has a 05 predator 50cc which tops out around 16mph - he's bored and needs more speed - we're hoping to make the 50 last a little longer since he has only had it for about seven months before we upgrade to a 90. Until then how can we increase the top end speed a little more - is there a different cdi box that can be installed or is there a way to bypass the built in rev limiter?

Old 06-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a suggestion, contact Billy Holt at WRH Racing. Web site is: http://www.wrhracing.net/contact_us

I heard he's the man to turn a stock Pred-50 into a rocket. It all depends on one's unique riding conditions and wallet depth.

As another suggestion... Upgrade the suspension first. After that, then give it more performance. No use turing a mini into a rocket if your young rider can't hang onto it. Or, its extra power rips out its Swing Arm and A-Arms. Pred-50s are known for some parts that can't handle extra power gains.

Hope this helps..

Old 06-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the site - looks like there are alot of performance parts for the Pred-90. Wondering if i should just upgrade to the 90 and then mod that instead. The suspension does need some help on the 50.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:28 PM
67x
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: adrift
Thanks for the site - looks like there are alot of performance parts for the Pred-90. Wondering if i should just upgrade to the 90 and then mod that instead. The suspension does need some help on the 50.

That's what I did after 1 day. I catch hell for it here, but my daughter is 6 and 40 lbs. She loves it and does not max it even though I freed it up. she's comfortable now at about 20-ish mph. She had that supremely bored look about the 50 after about 2 hours.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

My son is 6years and about 45 lbs - went to dealer today to look at Pred 90 and they only had a white '06, but it was still in the crate. How tall is your daughter - it was so long ago when he last sat on the 90 that we can't remember how comfortable he was. Our riding park has a mix of heavily wooded trails where max speed would be around 20 - but there are other open areas around the lake and racetrack which is where we could use more perfomance.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:12 AM
67x
Trailblazer

Sounds like my place, I just started cutting in some trail. My girl is 3'10' or so. Since I have an 800 foot drive with grass on both sides, I had her max out the bike to give her a sense of it. She did and decided that was a bit fast for her and doesn't do it now. I'm fine for her waiting as long as she likes, but she definitely prefers the 90, said the 50 was too much like her Barbie PW quad. She takes it nice and easy on what trails I have cut for her as they are only about as wide as my mower- 46" and run about 100 yards or so right now. Once done, the trails will be about a mile in total with some elevation changes as my woods are in a 'bowl' left over from a shifted water table. The bottom is dry and there seems to be lots of sandy loam. If you know NE Indiana, you know my terrain which I would assume is much like it is where you are.

We nearly moved to NC, I was shopping homes both here and there, but settled on the extra land I could pick up here. I mow 2 acres, have about 2 acres heavily wooded, and about 6 acres of rolling clover hay on lease to a farmer. If I decide to use that, I will have some monster racetrack area!

Old 06-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

I guy I used to race with had good results changing the rear sprocket to gain some more top end.The 50 also has a rev limiter in the cdi so if you could get around that you would also get some more speed.It won't be a rocket but it might be enough to keep it for a while longer.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice - my son is around the same height . Also, sounds like you have some similar riding conditions. My husband used to live in Indiana and rode 3 wheelers (before quads became popular). We're hoping to acquire some land and be able to create our own riding park in the future.

We contacted WRH Racing to see if they had a cdi box for the p[red 50 - still waiting to hear from them. I think that we are probably going to upgrade to the Pred 90.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Range Rover

i helped billy at wrh racing experiment with a predator 50. we installed a no rev limit cdi, race head 20mm carb, race pipe and did clutch and variator work to it. it more than doubled the top speed and would pull wheelies at ease. bad thing is there is nothing for the suspension. billy at wrh has the parts you need but you may still want to consider the 90.

Mark

Old 06-15-2006, 08:05 PM
67x
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: HQR109
i helped billy at wrh racing experiment with a predator 50. we installed a no rev limit cdi, race head 20mm carb, race pipe and did clutch and variator work to it. it more than doubled the top speed and would pull wheelies at ease. bad thing is there is nothing for the suspension. billy at wrh has the parts you need but you may still want to consider the 90.

Mark

Sounds like you might be at the price point of a 90 after that... I like the stability of the 90 and the suspension. I even rode it once, but I am much too heavy by about 60#, but it pulled me along pretty impressively. My wife takes it to the mailbox.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Predator 50 Need increased speed