Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

desert cat 90 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default desert cat 90 question

lol, the DC 90 is the same as the Kolpin 90 sold at Gander Mountain, and similar in size(same manufacturer?) as the Polaris 90. It is definately larger than the E-ton. E-ton also has 50's and 40's, did you not like any of those? Maybe a Polaris 50? I think those might run big though.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chirochris

Yeah take a run out to Gander Mountain...there is one in Kingston NY out by you I think. The Kolpin 50 and 90 are made by Unison. Also take a look at the Predator 50 and 90 as well at the Artic Cat 50 and 90 machines. You should not have a problem finding a Polaris dealer and a Arctic Cat dealer near you.

B1Mom I love the DC90 in Yellow. That would match my Yellow 400EX. HA!

Darrin

Old 08-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seat to floorboard height on the Eton 90 and the Polaris 90 are almost the same. The Eton is about 18" from seat to floorboard, the Polaris is about 17.5". The Polaris does look taller, but it might be due to the shape of the plastics. I did not look at the bikes next to each other, but took my tape measure to the dealers and checked them. As far as the seat height from the ground, I did not measure that. I would think that a 4 year old might have a bit of trouble handling a 90, but it really depends on the kid. My 8 year old does a great job on her Eton 50, which I am planning on upgrading to one of the new 4 stroke Eton 90's so that her 6 year old sister can have the 50. My advice is don't buy anything smaller than a 50, since the kids grow out of them too fast. Maybe a 70 if it is a big kid and you turn down the throttle or the CDI until he learns. The 90 is probably too much at 4 though. Most of the 90's will go about 30mph when opened up. To learn, that is too much power. My 6 year old is not able to handle that kind of power at this time. (though her older sister probably could have at age 6.) The artificial age limits that are put on the quads are rediculous really. What 5'6" 15 year old should be riding a 90cc quad that is built for a 4' child anyway? It is unsafe for a child that size to ride one of these in any rough terrain.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Valder,

Did you see my black and yellow Blaster. I has a B1 toomie on it and coming shortly is my 6" extended swing arm and my vito's 240 kit.

We like the black and yellow theme. Started with that dumb chinese bike we had, but it was yellow. We had to special order the yellow plastic for the DC90. Then for my sons birthday last sunday we got him and flame black and yellow seat cover (like on my blaster) and black and yellow flame shock covers. Actually we all got shock covers to match and when we get my husbands bike back together it will be black and yellow too including flame seat cover on that . He had a 250r but it blew up on the 4th of July weekend so we tore it all apart and now are starting to reassemble it. I will get some pictures up when it is done.

Chirochris,

my son is 34lbs. and 42 inches tall and he rides the DC 90. If you go to www.unison-atv.com you should be able to get all the specs there. Also I wouldn't recommend a raptor, the width of the bike is very narrow and I hear the tip over easy. My son rides with a boy who has one and we liked the frame and sturdyness of the DC better. Also www.racewayatv.com should have some specs on the DC90.

Did you see the pictures that I put up of my son on his bike. He is tiny. Not even on the growth chart. Take him to age 5 before he hits the chart.

I would think that if your son can ride a 70 three wheeler, he should be able to handle a DC90, just turn down the throttle screw.

B1mom

02 Blaster (mine)
05 Unison DC90 (son's)
86 TRX250R (hubby's - all tore apart at the moment)
01 Eton 40 (broken-but by the time the baby can ride, it should work!)

Old 08-19-2006, 05:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

B1Mom where did you get the black and yellow seat cover for the DC90 at?

Check youir PM box.

Darrin

Old 08-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

b1mom,

he looks real tiny on that thing..he has no problems?

hw does it ride when the throttle is governed?

is the dc 90 a cvt?

i would need the turn the throttle down alot in the beginning...

we only dream of spots to ride like that...very lucky

Old 08-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

chirochris,

Have you looked at the Kymco 50? It has a seat height of 25 inches from the ground.

Look here:
Kymco 50

Look here to run a comparison on the quads you are looking at.
ATV Comparison

Good luck with your purchase.

SB.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

that comparision site is great thanks...

most of the one that people recommend on here are about the same ...seat heights and weights varry...

still have no clue...

Old 08-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Chirochris,

he does look small on it I know, that is why I drove 5 hours for him to try it out first. He does great on it. We started him out about 1/3 throttle and he did fine.

It does have a CVT. Do you have a polaris dealership around you. You could put him on the Preditor.

Also if you son is big now, remember over the winter here he will still grow more. I hate to see you buy a little 50 and then its too tiny.

B1mom

Old 08-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

he is 46lbs and 45.5 iches tall..how does that compare to your son again, i am asking cause those weight amd heights you gave before seems kinds low for an eight yr old

and it definetly can be governed down to a slow,slow ride with out and issues

Quick Reply: desert cat 90 question