Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

ATV Tire replacment // Tires // Questions and Answers

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:01 PM
E7O
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire replacment Qs & As

Q: I can't find my original tire size?
A: Aftermarket tire sizes can (and in a lot of cases will) be different from OEM. The thing to remember is the first two numbers in the tire size are not as critical as the last number. For example: 20-11-9 -- The 20 is the tire height. The 11 is the tire width and the 9 is the wheel height. If you are not purchasing new wheels with your tires the last number has to be the same or the tire will not fit on your wheel. The width of a rear wheel is typically 8" to 9" and the fronts are typically 5" to 6" wide. The width of the wheel is typically not that critical. You can put anywhere from an 8 inch wide tire to a 13 inch wide tire all on an 8 inch wide wheel.

Q: What does OEM mean?
A: Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Q: What will happen if I go from a 20 inch tall tire to a 22 inch tall tire? See also: Tire Disc. Link
A: Depending on your engine size you may loose horse power. It will also give you more top end speed and you will gain one inch in ground clearance.

Q: What will happen if I go from a 20 inch tall tire to an 18 inch tall tire?
A: You will get better response from a dead stop (out of the hole) and in lower gears. You will also loose one inch in ground clearance.

Q: What is a wheel offset? See also: Wheel Disc. Link
A: From where you bolt the wheel to the hub of your bike will be the center or starting point. A 2+3 offset is two inches from the center to the inside of the wheel and is three inches from the center to the outside of the wheel or valve stem side. A 3+2 offset is of course just the opposite. Three inches from the center to the inside of the wheel and two inches from the center to the outside of the wheel or valve stem side. A 2+3 offset will make the wheels and tires wider on the bike.

Q: My bike came with 9" wheels, can I put 8" or 10" wheels on my bike?
A: Yes, if the bolt pattern is less than 4/130. If the bolt pattern is 4/136 to 4/143 the smallest wheel you can go with 9" if your bolt pattern is 4/156 the smallest wheel you can go with is 10".

Q: What is a bolt pattern?
A: A bolt pattern is how may stud holes are in your wheel and how far apart opposing stud holes are from each other. Example: 4/110 is four stud holes 110 millimeters apart. Click here for a list of bolt patterns that are printable.

Q: How do I measure a bolt pattern?
A: If it has four stud holes measure from the center of one stud hole to the center of the stud hole across the hub. If it is a 3 or 5 stud wheel you need to make an imaginary stud hole directly across the hub as if it were a 4 stud wheel. It is kind of a best guess. Another way to measure 3 or 5 stud wheels is measure from the center of one stud to the center of the next closest stud then call or e-mail us with the measurement and we will translate for you. Finally, print out your bolt pattern to see if it matches up with your hub, then use the part number on the print-out that matches.

Q: Are after market tires supposed to be the exact height and width as stamped on the side wall?
A: There are very few tires that are exactly what they say on the side wall. Most are a bit shorter and more narrow than stamped. However, some are a bit wider than stamped and very few if any are taller than stamped. It also depends on how much air pressure you have in your tires.

Q: How much air pressure should I put in my ATV tires?
A: We recommend about 3 to 5 PSI. Skat Trak recommends at least 5 PSI in there paddle tires.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire replacment Qs & As

Great post!