Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need help with maxam 150

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 09:12 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Need help with maxum 150

My brother just bought one of these used and there seems to be a problem with the rear end...It has a differential, I believe to accomodate reverse...The problem is that it only transmits power to the left rear wheel...It is somewhat scarey to ride like this as it will spin the one tire under power or when shifting up to a higher gear and it makes the atv twitchy feeling not to mention that it will get stuck on nothing more than wet grass..Has anyone had this problem?...Is there an online manual anywhere so we could see whats inside of the rearend..Also would love to hear just general feedback on this machine?...Are there any performance parts for it??..Does it have any speed restrictors?...It is pretty slow,about 5 mph slower than our viper 90...It doesn't sound like it is hitting a rev limiter?...

Old 10-15-2006 | 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need help with maxam 150

oldyeller,

Does the rear axle look like the one in my pics? Look at the BMS pic entitled Rear of quad. If your axle looks like the one in the pic then you have a straight through axle from left to right. The box on the back is the reverse gear. If you have one wheel spinning and the other one is not or not as fast I would pull the rear wheels and inspect the splines on the axle, make sure they are not worn. I just had to tear my axle apart to replace the gear that is bolted to the sprocket which engages with the gear box to move it forward or reverse.

Are these the quads your talking about Maxam if so it looks like they sell a combination of Yamoto and Kazuma products.

Good Luck.

SB.

Old 10-15-2006 | 10:54 PM
|
Pro Rider

Yes that link you provided is the same machine..The rear gear box on your machine looks the same except on your axles there appears to be a joint/flange or something part way along the axle. On my brother's machine it is just smooth all the way out to the hub.It actually appears that these are tubes with the axles inside...So your saying that this is a one piece axle from side to side?..I'm assuming that if his axle were broken inside the gearbox that it would fall apart correct?

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

oldyeller,

I know the axle you are speaking of. The axle design your brother has was released a few months after I purchased my quad. The notched flanges on my axle are threaded to the axle and hold a spacer into place. The spacer is actually part of a sealing point on the axle; you can see a seal on the end of the right axle hub.

Now on your axle, and I'm going to take a guess at this because I have not taken a newer one apart yet, I think this axle is still a one piece axle, and the black tubes that go into the seals are a one piece unit as opposed to mine which has a 2 1/2 inch spacer on each end. I think yours may be held into place by the wheel hub. Now again this is just a guess.

Your best bet is to pull the rear wheels off so you can get a look at the set-up. If you can pull the tubes out of the seals then you have a one piece axle design. If not, then your axle may be two separate axles; which would be a horrible design because the only thing keeping a two piece axle from breaking apart on either side are the 6 crappy bolts bolted to the rear gear box.

Here is a better pic of your rear axle. Jetmoto 150

Again pull off the rear wheels, this should give you a better indication of what your looking at.

If the axle were broken at the gearbox, and it is a solid axle, it should pull out, however, if it is bent, it will have a chance to work depending where it broke.

If you do take it apart let me know how it is designed.

SB.