Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Sunl (might buy one)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunl (might buy one)?

Well, I have to be honest and report that my SunL SLA-110KLB motor took a turn for the worse. This weekend I was changing the oil and checking it over before my son took a ride. After starting it up and letting it run for a few minutes I noticed some oil on the floor near the back of the motor and discovered that it was spitting out the breather tube on the back of the motor. Also, I noticed that the oil was foamy looking with bubbles in it. Looks like a ring problem. This bike was only about 3 months old and it had less than 15 hours of riding time on it. It never went pass half throttle because of the throttle limiter screw. This bike was high maintenance and had it's share of minor problems but this was the end of the rope - major motor problem after 15 hours of riding time??? I did like the bike and features but no more SunL's in my future!

I contacted my dealer and to make a long story short, I got a 75% refund of my $800 original investment. I took the money and ran!!!!!!!!!

I am now researching my options and will probably be going with a major brand (Kawasaki KFX90, Yamaha Raptor 80, Polaris Outlaw 90, Can-AM DC90 or Suzuki LTZ90) but I am also looking at the Unison Desert Cat 90. Any opinions. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Sir,
Bill is right on this one. They have been written about extensively....many have beat the hell out of Sunl. SEADAWG

Old 11-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The dc90 is an awsome quad. We have had no problems at all with it and my son likes to jump it every chance he gets. It starts easily every time and rund very strong. If you want name brand quality with alot less money you cant go wrong with the dc90. It is the same as the polaris pred 90.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I went ahead and did it! As a matter of fact, my partner and me set up an account with Sunl and became a dealer. I have a 4x4 shop and sell alot of used 4wheelers, 400ex's, utilities etc. and get people want kids atv's, so we set up the account.

I've been moved by the looks of the SLA models, as I think they are the best looking atv's barr none! They fit right in at my shop, cause we lift the heck out of trucks and Jeeps, so the lifted quads fit right in! We got our initial order Friday, and there were a few problems! First, when we chose our colors, the guy on the phone at Sunl must have been watching t.v and really into it, cause he obviliously didn't pay any attention to our conversation about colors!

They were out of a few choices we wanted, so we chose the Yellow camo (2) and (2) reds and (1) green camo and the 250cc in Yellow. Well the 250cc came regular green, and the (2) yellow camo's came brown camo. Kinda disappointing cause they make the different colors cause people want choices, if not, they'd all be black or red or something!

Next, one of them took a horrible ride from Texas to Va. It had broken taillights, broken floorboards, wrong color, broken rear rack etc. Of course out of (6) atv's, and only (1) was a 250cc and the other (5) being 150 auto's, the one that took the beating was the 250cc. That one was actually for me to demo, and ride on the weekends at my partners land.

I will say this, that 250cc liquid cooled 4 speed will rock! I first just clicked her into gear and she stalled, my buddy said, you might wanna try using the clutch next time, and I was like, it has an actual clutch, and sure enough it does! With the manual clutch, 4 speed and 250cc's, it flies. You can shift into 2nd, rev it a little and pop the clutch and it'll stand right up. It has great speed and is just plain fun.

Since it has some items that need replacing cause of the horrible delivery it went thru, I rode my partners girls 150cc auto to see how they do! Wow, it is just as neat! Click it into foward, and hit the gas and forget it. It has good power, and decent speed. Now heres one thing that (5) so far all had to have done by our mechanic! He has had to pull all (5) carbs and clean them out!! They start and run fine, but then you cut them off, and they spew the whole tank of gas out if you don't catch them in time. Gas pours right out the overflow tube!

We took one apart, and it had metal shavings all in it! Clean it out, and they are fine then, but you should never have to do that to a brand new atv, and especially (5) out of (6) so far, and thats just because we haven't assembled the 6th one yet. Sunl has a problems with this, as I like you have read over and over about it, and now I've expirenced it first hand!! Sunl needs to call who ever manufactures those carb's if its not them, and tell them, if you wanna keep selling us thousands of carb's for our bikes, you better start cleaning them out after machining them! It is horrible to let that happen, and get a bad name cause of this.

I can see this being very frustrating for someone that buys one and it happens within 5 minutes of riding it. It would be especially bad for the average person who doesn't know how to fix it themselves, and now they're stuck til they get it taken care of! We were very upset that on top of the 1.5 hours to assemble the atv, then they all had to have the carb;s taken off!

Well, I've babble'd on and on here, so I'll end with saying, the SLA's look great, look like they are made pretty decent, and run very nice (except carb problem)! We are taking (3) 150 auto's today to the property and letting his girl and mine ride them, and I'm gonna ride the a 150 myself. I'll give the lowdown after that! Heres a pic of the SLA model incase you haven't seen one, as they look wild!

http://i17.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/c1/06/7c_1_b.JPG

Old 11-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

Well good luck with those SunL's but as a previous owner of one I can tell you that I would not recommend one or even consider purchasing one again. The other day I purchased a 2006 Polaris Predator 90 to replace my 3 month old SunL SLA-110KLB in which the motor took a crap! All I can say is WOW! What a difference in quality. This ATV is so much better in every aspect. My son rode this bike on Friday for 3 hours and then again on Saturday for another 3 hours and not one single problem...not one thing to check (other than fuel and oil level)...it idled fine...it has plenty of power...the suspension is sooo much better... and I feel much more comfortable with my son riding this quad in terms of overall safety. I know that some of you will say "sure but you paid over a $1,000 more for this quad" but I can tell you that it is worth every penny. In 4-5 years when I have to upgrade, this quad will still be worth a good buck. You probably would have to buy at least two or three SunL's to make it through 4 years of use and the SunL's would be throw away item's each time.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, my Daughter and I are back after our ride today. Fun, Fun is all i can say! The Sunl's performed great! I was very suprised and satisfied with the 150's today. We rode at my partners land, and his daughter rode on also, so it was (3)SLA-175's, which are 150cc auto's. We took off heading down the 1 mile gravel road, then up a hill and into the woods. They carve back and forth, around tree's and up and down small hills.

I'm 45, 206lb's, and that 150 pulled me for (4) hours, and no problems! Now i've owned most every kind of ATV you can own, from a ATC110 when I was 15, then a 185's, 200x, 350x, all three wheelers, then thru all the 4wheelers from Banshee's, 250r's and a used dealer for the baddest of all, the Honda Pilot FL400r. What I'm getting at is, i've gotta lot of experience with ATV's of all kinds and was impressed today with these 150's. I still have a Pilot, 400ex etc. but I wanted one of these to knock around on with my daughter, and not out ride her, but actually ride with her and at basically the same speed and setup.

Now you aren't gonna set any speed records at 206lbs on this 150, but it pulled me just fine, and ran at a good speed. We had a ball on them, and rode for (4) hours. After about (1) hour, I noticed one of my daughters taillight lens had fell off, so we looked up and down the road, and there it was. The screw's had backed out, so it fell off! Other than that, it was problem free! I still can't get over how much fun I had with her on a 150cc.

I wanted to ride with her for the fun she would have, and my partners daughter would have also. I myself had a good time, and we also wanted to see what they were about, now that we'll have (4) setting out for sale at my shop this week. I wanted to be able to tell people about them, and what they will do. Now granted, all of ours will have the carb's off, and cleaned out, cause i know right off thats gonna lead to some dissatisfaction from customers if we don't go that extra step, cause the carb's will leak their guts out if we don't!

I guess the next step is also seeing what kind of support we get from Sunl on any problems etc. So far i'm happy, especially since I actually put my own tail on one for (4) hours today and didn't cut it any slack! We'll see if any of that changes after a few sales! Fingers are crossed!!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Nitro, appreciate the article. I was looking into one of these myself (250cc)... Let me know if parts are readily avable and easy to obtain. Since I liv ein Pittsburgh, the crap weather is about to roll in so I might hold of on buying one of these until late Feb/March somtime.

For the meatime, keep us updated on how the bikes run, especially the 250.

BY THE WAY: Which dealer ie:name, state did you get it from? or was it the main hub.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I will keep you informed, and will be finding out tomorrow what Sunl's service/warranty is worth! Got a few items that were broke, a few wrong colors, and the carb issue which 4 out of 6 have had to have their carb's taken off twice now!

We took the carb's off again today when 4 of them started leaking again, so we cleaned them out again, but this time added a cheap inline fuel filter. We'll see what that does! If Sunl works things out with us, and has the parts we need and doesn't try to stall us, we'll be good, but if they aren't much help, and try to string us along, we'll drop them like a Hot potato, and we've done it before with other companies!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome man, i'll be checking back for sure on this post.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nitro you should really try the Jetmoto brand. Much better than sunl.

Quick Reply: Sunl (might buy one)?