Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Suzuki LT50 is SLOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LT50 is SLOW

We bought our (now) 7-1/2 yr. old grandson the Suzuki Quadsport 50 in 2005. We've let out the limiter screw, but it still only goes 12-15 MPH. What a dog! Is there something else to make it faster? I can't affort a new one, although his legs are getting long!

Old 12-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

50ccbeginner,

Here is a thread to read up on.

Suzuki LT50 Kawasaki KFX50 Power Up Kit

SB.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know how to remove the factory installed exhaust and intake restrictors? This is something we haven't done and of course the owners manual is not going to tell you how to do this.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, I believe the owner's manual DOES mention at least one of the restrictors and cautions against its removal before the rider knows how to handle the additional power.

Exhaust restrictor: Unbolt the exhaust pipe from the cylinder. The restrictor is in the pipe; it looks like a washer with a slot instead of a hole. Some have reported being able to remove it with a screwdriver, others have heated the pipe with a torch. Reinstall muffler and you're done. Do this first, before the intake restrictor.

Intake restrictor: It sits between the carb and the intake side of the cylinder, much like the exhaust restrictor on the other side. You remove the carb, pry out the restrictor, and reinstall the carb. Do this ONLY after you've removed the exhaust restrictor.

Carb restrictor: I've read (but not personally seen) that the carb float can be shaved to permit greater travel and thus more air/fuel flow. There are quite a few posts on this forum about doing it.

Throttle restrictor: Remove the screw that limits the throttle lever's travel. I think you said you've already done this.

These four mods cost precisely nothing but a little of your time. Another mod I've heard about but haven't needed to do yet is to polish the cylinder's intake and exhaust ports. Rumor has it that the castings are pretty rough and that smoothing them improves engine performance.

Beyond this you can get into port timing, replacement exhaust systems, porting or enlarging the air filter/intake system, etc. There is a whole lot of juice in that little 49cc engine if you let it express itself. Don't get discouraged, just get to work! [grin]

Old 12-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Im not certain how the 50cc atv is set up but 80cc has a spacer in the top of the carb that limits the travel of the slide.I think all you have to do is unskrew the top of the carb and pull the slide out and take the spacer off.sorry I cant explain in more detail but it's been a while.also the 80cc had the exhaust limiter like these other guys have told you of course the 50cc may be set up differently.