Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

5 year olds first ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 year olds first ride

Santa brought my five year old a Redcat MPX 90 for christmas and his first ride was one to remember he made a couple of laps around the yard and then headed for the field and then in what I'm guessing was a combanation of his light weight, to much speed and and a real sharp turn he rolled it the good part is it was all caught on video the best part being that he didn't even have a scrape. Right after the roll I thought I turned the camera off and probably the funneist part is me telling him "lets not tell your mom about this" All in All it was a great day and he loved the atv. I know alot of people bash the Chinese or cheap atvs but I never could have paid cash for a name brand which maked me very thankfull that there is an alternative also thanks and more thanks to whoever started this website if it did not exsist his atv probably would not have started and ran perfect but because of all the good info I got me and my dad were able it fix all the small problems.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to sound too much like a Scrooge but - Would you have been as happy with your video if it documented your 5 year old getting seriously injured?

Please take this as a lesson learned: Back the throttle down, way down and /or use a teather system if it has one. An inexperienced 5 year old can get into trouble on a 50cc ATV, much less a 90. Many 5 year olds cannot handle a quad of any size, most take time to develop the motor skills needed to control steering, throttle and brake. Go slow, stay VERY close and eventually you should get a skilled (and uninjured) ATV buddy to ride with.

Jaybee

Old 12-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

I almost and should have said something to address that I have been riding since I was five and my son has had power wheel type rides since he was three I no there is alot of difference between a power wheel and a 90cc atv but if I didn't know he was ready he wouldn't have got it and as far as the roll if you ride any kind of off road vechicles wrecks are a part of the teritory and had he got hurt no it would no have been funny but he didn't "thank the Lord Almighty" so therefore it is a veryfunny video to watch and I have talked to him before after and everytime he rides but if its in his blood to ride what can I do"joke" the thing I tell him most is wear your helmet and never get close to the road plus at this point I am always out there with him. The point of this post was to help us grown folks remember our early days rideing mine was on a single speed yahmahaw three wheeler and we were wrecking everytime we turned around

Old 12-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Range Rover

By law in my state no one under 12 yrs can be on an atv larger than 50cc.Now i do no that you have to make decisions based on your own child.I for one have my son wear Helmet goggles motorcycle boots ,chest protector,Riding pants and gloves.Alot of riding parks require this kind of equipment.Also these atv parks have you sign a waiver stating that the child is age appropriate for the machine.Saftey first. Good luck with your new machine.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Why is everyone busting his chops. He got the first wreck out of the way. My son races MX and has been for 5 years now and never rides without someone around and he always wears his helmet, boots and gear. I dont think the gentlemen was saying "Cool my kid wrecked" but ya know as you look back and im sure even his son laughs about it now.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Congrats Trailrider!

I too found out the feeling watching a kid get their first ride on their own 4 wheeler. Christmas morning, it was pouring rain in Ga. My six year old daughter got a Cool Sports "Bobcat" 110. As she took off in the rain, she turned, looked up at me and my wife. She lifted both fist in the air and began yelling Woo Hoo! Woo Hoo!

At that point in time, I thanked the Good Lord, Santa, and the Chinese ATV's that made that moment happen for her.

Of course I must mention that the battery is a piece of junk. I also didn't purposly order that big of an ATV. I placed my order and it came quickly. I didn't have time to unpack untill two days before Christmas. HighRPMRacer.com sent me the $599 ATV vs the $499 ATV I ordered! Everything seems to be working out for the best though!

I wish you and yours many happy days riding your machines!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

I bet we all have stories like that. ... I know I do and Momma doesn't need to know everything[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] SEADAWG

Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

setters,

What law is written that you have to be 12 years old to ride anything bigger than 50 cc's in PA? I am curious to know this since they let you ride in state forest land at age 8-16 with a safety course. And I have seen kids younger than 12 riding there on much bigger than 50 cc's and park rangers around, and not getting in trouble for it. Stickers on the quad may say that, but as far as I know there is no law in PA that states that.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Range Rover

What i was refering to was that in pa anyone under 16 but older than 9 must have a saftey training course before than can ride off there own property.Now in order to take the course anyone under 12 has to be on an 50cc atv.This is whats required.Now my son who is 10 sold his 50cc and bought a 125 jetmoto from raceway so i dont no what to do now.Didnt think to get him certified earlier.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Nicole Yeingst does our safety courses down here near Gettysburg. She told us it doesn't matter to her what size ATV people use during their safety course, as long as it fits them well and they can handle it. If your son fits his Jetmoto well, I would find another safety instructor. If you call DCNR they will give you a listing of instructors in your area.

Quick Reply: 5 year olds first ride