Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Giovanni 150cc quad--help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giovanni 150cc quad--help

I'm hoping some of you out here can help me out...

I purchased a 50 cc Giovanni as a Christmas gift for my daughter, and thought I'd get a 150 cc for myself to tag-along with her, and make sure she was properly supervised.
The 50 cc runs great--no problems whatsoever...

When the 150 cc arrived, my nephew was over and offered to help me assemble it. He accidentally connected the battery backwards!!
The fuse never blew, and we noticed the problem within a few minutes, but there was a bit of smoke coming from the motor.

From that point, the electric start NEVER worked. I've always had to use the kick-start.

Sure enough, on Christmas morning, starting it up for like the the 4th time ever, the kick-start just didn't feel or sound right.
Now, I can't even kick-start the quad. It's like the teeth on the crank aren't grabbing or something.
John at all-star sales has offered to send me whatever part is needed, but this is my first quad as well.

How do i go about checking what is needed?

I would also be on the lookout for a wiring schematic for this quad if anyone has one, or can tell me where to find one.
I'm hoping the problem(s) will be relatively easy to find, and won't need a comletely new wiring harness.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I know this is a Honda clone engine...Can I purchase parts from a Honda dealer? What kind of engine do I tell the dealer I have?

I am located in North-eastern Ontario.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

Bell, sorry to hear about your problems. Odds are the wiring is fine. Wires conduct regardless of how they are hooked up. It's what they're hooked up to you have to worry about!

I jsut got into quads, so am not real familiar with them. My background is motorcycles, which are pretty close.

I would bet the solenoid(if there is one) is shot, and maybe the magento? It sure wouldn't like having juice pumped in the ground side.

As for the kickstart, that sounds like it might be an unfrtunate circumstance. I don't see how backwards power could make something mechanical fail.

Hopefully soemone with more knowledge will steer you in the right direction.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Range Rover

Hey Bell,
First off are you pulling in the hand brake, or pushing the foot brake (not farmilure with Giovanni brakes) while you push the start button. To test the solenoid you can jump the two studs with a screw driver (hold on to the plastic) and if the machine turns over either your solenoid is bad or handle bar switch. Also make sure either on the hand brake or foot brake there are two wires hooked up. They are for the starter saftey switch.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, let me correct one thing....the electric start DID work like the first day, two or three times, but that was it.

And yes, the hand brake is locked in when I'm trying to start it up.

I don't think the wiring issue is related to the kick-start issue, but since the kick-start was the only way I could start the quad, and now it's like the teeth aren't grabbing, or possibly broken off or something. How do I go about opening that up, to check it all out, and figure out what the problem there is?

To Chopper: Really good way of explaining how to test the solenoid. Thanks much!

Any other little tricks from anyone for this, or any other ATV tests is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Any idea how to test the magneto?

Old 01-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bell55,

If your 150 has a GY6 engine in it download this manual it will help you out.

Manual

Good Luck.

SB.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

if you need a stator , cdi or flywheel puller let me know, i'll make you a deal you can't refuse

Old 01-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

All right let me take a guess at what might have happened. When the battery got hooked up backwards it fried the magneto. You said it would start with the electric start a few times. With out the magneto the battery will not get charged. So the battery would get drained. Even with the battery mostly drained you may have been able to kick start it a few times. So my guess is you have a dead battery and a dead magneto. You could try taking the battery out of the 50cc just to see if it will start with the starter. Don't run it long or you will run that battery down to. If that works then you know you probable have a bad magneto and a dead battery. You could try to charge the battery, but the cheap China batteries are not very good anyway, you may want to just go to Wal-Mart and get a new one. If you find out the magneto is bad, post back here and maybe someone else can help you with how to replace it. I have never done it on this bike and the last time I did it on any bike was 20 years ago. As far as the Kick starter not working that's probably a spring, there are lots of designs, but most all have some spring that pushes on a ratcheted type gear to engage the kick starter. You will have to take the kick start arm off and take the side cover off to see what is wrong.
9Kids

Old 01-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure it will come in handy, but it's just too cold up here right now to be in the shed tinkering with stuff. (-22 Celsius daytime high today.)

I will keep everyone updated, and to 9kids: FYI- my daughter's 50cc is IDENTICAL to the 90ccs you got your kids.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:16 PM

is their a dealer of chinese powersports near you most of them fix all these type atv's and have parts try totype in your zip code on redcatmotors.com website and find a local dealer thats a 100.00 dollar and a hour fix.at most shops

Quick Reply: Giovanni 150cc quad--help