Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Do away with stock bubble tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do away with stock bubble tires

I installed some ITP Holeshot Razr's on my daughters Raptor 80 and the stability level went sky high. At high speeds she no longer has that terrible wandering effect that always leaves me leary about the tire/bike letting go on her. As a father my personal security feeling went way up and I do feel a lot safer about her riding the bike now.

Mud

Old 03-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Did you put on Holeshot or Razr's? Either way, glad to hear that it helped. I put Razr's on my son's 150, and it made a world of difference in stability as well.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

u think after 10 yrs they would have done that to the blaster. but in its whole history it had those godforsaken tires.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Range Rover

I had the same worry with my sons Raptor 80 so I added a set of ITP holeshot tires and offset rims and a set of 2" per side wheel spacers. The thing handles awesome (I can do doughnuts on it without tipping over) and it looks great. Our Raptor 50 is in line next for the same mods. OEMs putting balloon tires on kids quads should be a crime.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

My bad, the ITP Razr's and yes I went with a 3x5 offset rim as well. Besides the stability it does make the bike look great. I also agree that the manufactures should design the mini quads safer stability wise. They know that children are going to be running fast and turning hard so I believe it should be a mandatory issue.

Mud

Old 03-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

ITP makes the Holeshot, Maxxis makes the Razr [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi all , a newbee to the quads here, I am into dirt bikes but have gone the way of Quads for my girls, to start off with I bought a 97 trx 90 and see the same problem with the tires as you have been talking about in this fourm. My question is did you replace the tires on just the back or front and back ?
I like the idea of spacers to make it wider as well as stiffer and wider tires, this quad have stock tires all the way around and is quite bouncey. I am also interested in any info you might have for the shocks with out getting big $$$ I do not want to get to much into this quad, until I find out how much they use it. Any info would be great
Thanks Much
ktm 200
crf50f highly modified
ttr90e
trx 90
and counting

Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Range Rover

I replaced the tires and rims all the way around. The rear tires really stabilized the quad alot but the front tires also help because they are mounted on offset rims which move the tires out further than the OEM ones. The spacers just put the icing on the cake. My son rode alot prior to the tire/rim/spacer mods but now he really likes the quad alot and the tires allow him to be more aggressive riding (doughnuts, rougher terrain). I have briefly looked into shocks but they seem to be very pricey. (shocks for my pickup truck cost less).

Old 03-15-2007, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

The tires I put on the rear of her bike are 18x10x8. (3x5 offset rims.) They made the tire to ground contact about 2" wider on each side so 4" overall. I opted not to widen the front, at least not yet anyway. I have read too many forums about steering loss with the front being wider and her Raptor does not have a great deal of turning radius as it is. We will maybe do something there later I'm not sure yet. I took some pictures on our last ride but don't have them developed yet. I will try to get them posted soon so everyone can see the before and after.

Mud

Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 AM
Range Rover

madmuddin1,

The 19X6-10 Tires and 10X5 3+2 4/88 rims will actually make the quad steer better and add yet another step up in stability (the front tires will actually be wider than the back). those who own/owned 3-wheelers know even if the back is wide if the front is narrow, a single tire being the extreme case of narrowness, the machine can still be unstable in hard turns.

I had the concern about the 2" spacers on the front wheels also. but the combination of the spacers and the wheels has proven to work very well.

if not the spacers, tires and rims combo I would definetly recommend the above mentioned tires and rims on front.

Quick Reply: Do away with stock bubble tires