Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need help choosing an atv for sons birthday

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Need help choosing an atv for sons birthday

HMM I have a garage full of the cheap Chinese quads and all of them have been very reliable along with name brands. They get ridden every weekend by my kids and neighborhood kids. I did buy my oldest son who is 9 a Unison Desert Cat 90 which is the same as the Polaris 90. Yes it is built much better and better suited for a more agressive rider. Not ALL Chinese brands are crap and alot of it has to do with the person setting the quads up from the start. You can get a used quad that you have no idea what the history was. Either way its a crap shoot. At least buying a new Chinese quad will get a warranty and there are dealers that honor the warranties even after they expire if needed. You can find plenty of parts for them also.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only seen about 20 or so of the chinese quads up close and the ones I've seen have been pretty substandard, I'm no expert. Just throwing my $.02 in, I know I would be pissed if I spent a bunch of money on something and it was a pile of crap like the ones I've seen. Again, that's just the ones I've seen, they might not all be like that, but I haven't seen any name brand quads that were as crappy as the best off brand quad I've seen, so that's gotta be worth something, no? I just know what I've seen from hanging out in the desert and seeing and riding different stuff over many years, I've never been really hardcore into quads or , but I know enough to spot something that works and something that doesn't.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a lot of bashing of the Chineese quads. Well I bought my son a 50CC 4 years ago for $600 and it still runs just as good as the day I bought it. I have had to tighten the chain and a few other things but nothing major. He is now 9 and it is too small. I just bought him another chineese quad. Its a 150CC auto. Only paid $950... The thing is a beast..Sure its no name brand but I would have to pay 3 times that price or more to get one of those or at least twice the price for a used name brand not knowing how it was ridden. I'll take brand new any day. I don't know about your area but the chance of finding a cheap name brand quad for a good price is slim. All the ones I looked at were priced not much lower than buying new. If you do find one or hear about a good deal it is usually gone..Sure u can spend weeks looking for a good deal used one and never know if u will actually find it or buy brand new chineese one for under $1000 delievered to your house knowing if it breaks completely or stolen you could buy another one and still saved money than buying 1 brand name....LOL I don't know about u all but I don't have money to throw away on a kid just out having a little fun..Sure if its a hobby and you have a beastly truck with a big trailer and go racing on weekends and have extra money laying around...all means buy the name brand...but for me and I know many others these chineese ones are a good deal for the $$!

Old 04-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an old piece of junk 1987 Yamaha moto 4 80cc that had an engine problem. I rebuilt the engine and replaced the carb on it, brake lines and added wheel spacers for under 500.00 It runs perfect without any problems.

The thing is This old piece of junk from 1987 is the same thing as a 2007 raptor 80cc. Just different plastics, and the raptor is a 3 speed instead of a 4 speed like mine.

How many chinese quads are still running after 20 years(please raise your hands)????

I had a very tough time deciding on wether or not to spend 500.00 on this old yamaha or spend 500.00 on a new chinese quad.

I know my Yamaha and I know how good it has been to this date and I dont want to throw away 500.00 on something that might last 2 years and I have to work on it every week.

I rode it from the time that I was 6 until I was about 12 or 13. My 300lb grandfather rode it part of the time(easier to carry to big equiptment auctions than his big grey Yamaha.)