Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Coolster blown fuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolster blown fuse

Hi all, I purchased a Coolster 110cc model 3050B for my son's 8th birthday. This is the first atv we or I have ever owned. He loved it for the first 5 weeks or so. After his last ride, we put it in the garage and I was told to start it once a week to keep it running, so I went to start it and nothing. No click from the starter or anything. Since I was having to charge the battery prior to starting the atv every time I thought it must be the battery. So I went to Autozone and they had a battery that was very close to the same size. It fits. I charged the new battery and installed it and still nothing. I noticed that there was a fuse about 6 inches from the positive post on the battery. the fuse is in line on the red wire. The fuse was blown. They originally gave me a spare fuse so I popped it in and I actually saw a little red flash of the fuse popping as soon as I installed it. I have read about the poor wiring on these bikes, so I am pretty certain there is a short blowing the fuse. I am going to take off the plastic today and look for any obvious signs. Can anyone help me with suggesting a way to find the short? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

this is how i would do it, remove all plastic, look for anything obvious such as a bare wire, burned wire and so force, if i didn't find anything the i would disconnect (unplug)all the wire connectors to all the electrical componits, install new fuse if it blows now then you know it's in the wiring harness, if not then start plugging in the connectors in one at a time until the fuse blows, this will isolate the componit which the fuse blows, i woundn't think this should take more than 30-45 minutes.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks bill ... just got back from autozone with new fuses. I will give it a try and post my results.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you. Done. There is something wrong between the main wiring harness and the brake light wiring. I unplugged everything as you said, it started and then I started plugging things back in. Everything is hooked up and it will start but the brake lights don't work now. This is an easy fix, I can at worst case rewire the light. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Hope I can help you some day!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:14 PM
DIY Warrior
Default Great method!

Originally Posted by billl2099
.. remove all plastic, look for anything obvious such as a bare wire, burned wire ...install new fuse if it blows now then you know it's in the wiring harness, if not then start plugging in the connectors in one at a time until the fuse blows, this will isolate the component which the fuse blows,...
Fortunately, I don't have this problem. I came across this thread and thought it was a great and straight forward method for isolating the problem.

The issue I do have on my 2007 Fuxin brand 110cc Chinese atv is that the voltage runs too high. 18.3v when the engine is revved. I bought a new 4 wire rectifier / regulator which helped but I still get 17.3v! I'm about to add an additional "DC to DC" converter to limit voltage to about the normal 14v. It looks like the glass fuse supplies 25A so that would be the perfect place to splice in the new reglator to supply the lights with the correct voltage. The tail light bulb blew and the brake was ok until I revved and held the brake while the back was jacked up with my multimeter attached to see the effect on the voltage. Headlight - both filaments still works but the bulb is blackened and very dim.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by New ATV enthusiast
Thank you. Done. There is something wrong between the main wiring harness and the brake light wiring. I unplugged everything as you said, it started and then I started plugging things back in. Everything is hooked up and it will start but the brake lights don't work now. This is an easy fix, I can at worst case rewire the light. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Hope I can help you some day!
I had this same issue with a 2011 110 coolster. Went through fuse after fuse diagnosing the problem. Finally realized the wiring that is connected directly above the rear break was either unplugged OR it was plugged in reverse (swapped the wires around).