Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

chinese 110cc stator position?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chinese 110cc stator position?

I just replaced the starter in my sons' 110cc atv, however it will not start. The solenoid kicks and I tried the starter before installing and everything spun fine. It's on the chain correctly from what I can see so I'm guessing the stator is in the wrong position. When the previous starter fried it did the same - current kicked from the solenoid but no starter action so I replaced it. Now the same...is the chain possibly bound up or is the stator just not in the correct position? I see 2 spots where it looks like it should be lined up with the point on the stator cover, but neither seem to work. Is there anything else I'm overlooking? Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Trailblazer

Hi jds3b
I'm a Weekend Warrior, too.
The problems I've ever had on the starter are;
1. Mal-functioned Detector Switches at the break levers
2. Intermittent Fuse on the wire to the starter relay
3. Mal-functioned Starter Relay
I think it would be effective way to check the voltages at each point on the electrical passeges relate to the starter system.
Hope your son's quad would be fine soon.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

jessie - the starter works fine not installed on the chain. Once I bolted it in I just get the clicking sound and it does heat up if I leave the starter engaged for a few seconds so I know it's getting juice. Any other ideas?

Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Trailblazer

Does the engine turn buy hand?
Is the battery fully charged?
If the engine does not turn by hand, pull the spark plug and try it again.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

as far as i can tell the engine rotates - i can manually rotate the stator with the cover removed. Also plenty of juice from the battery. It's got to be related to the position of the stator from what I can tell - just not sure what position it should be in to allow the starter to spin when connected to the chain.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry. I have not understood sufficiently of the problem status. As you stated, we can find 2 lines on the Fly-wheel, one with letter "T" and the other with "F". The position "T" shows "Top dead point of Piston" and "F" is for "Ignition timing". But actually the wheel position have no relation onto the starter operation in electrical as far as I know. In the meanwhile, 110cc capacitied chinese engines are often found with an Aotomatic "De-comp" mechanism provided on the cam-shaft, which enable the engine start easily with releasing the compression in the cylinder. The problem on your son's quad may have had something to do with the De-comp mechanism. Or some other factors which could give unexpected frictions onto the starter system, like;
- Off-centered gears in the starter gear box, caused by tightening bolts when the starter installed.
- Intercerence of the chain or sproket at the one-way clutch underneath the flywheel, to the adjacent components.

If no chain, what would be? Sorry, you stated the starter worked off the chain.
Uhmm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thx again Jessie -
I saw the marks on the flywheel but it seems that no matter where I align them it seizes the starter from turning over. Pulled the starter and again it fired not being attached to the chain. Only other thing I can think of is the chain is off the flywheel causing it to bind the starter but everything looks right. If it helps I can take pictures of what I'm dealing with.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

got the starter working - stupid grounding issue. NOW.....the motor has virtually no power. It backfires also at times when it stops/dies. I've read there's no timing on these motors? If so then why does the flywheel have a F and T indicating Firing and Timing? Also, pulled the plugs to adjust the flywheel (again, why no adjustment to the timing if there are built in plugs on the cover?) and tried the F and T at the opening - of course I'm not sure where the piston is in relation to them at the time but there's got to be a timing issue causing this. It ran perfect before I replaced the starter and screwed with the flywheel while getting the chain installed on the starter. Any ideas or suggestions? The owner's manual makes no mention of timing.