Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

KFX 90 maintenance:frown;

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX 90 maintenance:frown;

I am needing some assistance on the 07 KFX 90. My son's quad will start, but then die out after the auto-choke is done running it's course. It has around 15-20 hrs on it and we need to go out riding before the season is over. I spoke to the local bike shop and they told me the valves needed adjusted and the carb needs to be fixed as well, which translates to about $200 in repairs. If there is anyone out here that has experienced this problem too, please respond. I have just returned from Iraq and want to spend some man time with my son in the desert.

Also I added Sta-bil to the fuel prior to leaving for 7 months. It did not effect my quad (03 pred 500). Mine fired right up with little to no problems.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]Chris[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Semper Fi

Old 03-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

My nephews KFX 90 was doing the same thing, dying after the choke went off and also hard to start when cold. I put in a UNI air filter and a new NGK Iridum plug. That took care of both problems. Now it fires up instantly. Try both of those first before you go to the dealer. $6- for the plug, $15- for the filter

On a side note the choke on these seems to shut off too quick in colder weather.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RemedyX

My nephews KFX 90 was doing the same thing, dying after the choke went off and also hard to start when cold. I put in a UNI air filter and a new NGK Iridum plug. That took care of both problems. Now it fires up instantly. Try both of those first before you go to the dealer. $6- for the plug, $15- for the filter

On a side note the choke on these seems to shut off too quick in colder weather.</end quote></div>

Thanks for the reply. I will do both the things you suggested. Did he have to have his valves adjusted?? That may be a big expence as well.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:08 AM
Trailblazer

No, I haven't gotten the valves adjusted yet. I know its got at least 50hrs on it. His little 90 fires up quicker than my wifes Rancher and I've done the valve adjustment on hers.

From my experience, when the valves go out of wack, the bike is either hard to start or it will backfire (pop) when you let off the gas. The stock air cleaner is a big restiction on these bikes, get a UNi or TwinAir it will run better.

After the choke is off will it idle if you restart it? If I let his bike set and idle until the choke goes off ,on its own, it will cut off. But upon restart, it idles fine and has not cut off while riding.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

RemedyX, It will fire back up after the choke completes it's cycle. Once I start it again, it will die when I try to give it the least amount of throttle. I will purchase a Uni and a plug today, but I have a feeling it may be more. Thanks for the information.

Chris[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

Hopefully those will take care of it. I killed a battery trying to just start his quad this past summer. I also thought it was the valves. But the air filter was extremely dirty from the all the coal dust where we ride. So i firgured I'd do a little preventive maintainence, filter,plug and oil. Voila' problem solved....

Be sure to oil the filter well...

Also, Thank you for your service to this country.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

Its the carb. Get rid of that PTE16 AUTO CHOKE CARB!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

RemedyX

Where did you get the filter from? The dealership I bought it from didn't have any in stock. Did you have to order one from the store or online?

Chris

Old 03-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

My Kawie dealer had some in stock. The guys in the shop are into performance stuff. Get a stock one or clean and oil the original until the Uni comes in. It usually only takes 2 days for special orders.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RemedyX

My Kawie dealer had some in stock. The guys in the shop are into performance stuff. Get a stock one or clean and oil the original until the Uni comes in. It usually only takes 2 days for special orders.</end quote></div>

RemedyX
Seems to be no one around here (SoCal) has a stock or after market filter for the KFX 90. They all have to order them. Anyway, I found this cool a$$ shop that basically walked me through fixing it. All in all, it only cost me around $30. All it was was the pilot jet being clogged. The dealership wanted $127.00 to fix it and the small time owner only wants the buisness (and he will get heturn buisness). Thank god for the <u>honest</u> man. Now my son and I can go riding and can have some extra $$$$$ in our pockets for whatever may come up!!! Oh yeah, I will be ordering a new filter, but did buy some filter oil for the time being.

Semper Fi

[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]Chris[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]