Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Gio 250cc really stiff steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gio 250cc really stiff steering

Hey, really glad there is a community to field some questions to. Bought a Gio 250cc utility atv, read this forum before I even got the thing so thanks to you guys I burned the gel out of the carb adjusted the idle and found the fuel line tucked up under the front fender wheelwell (for a while had the breather tube from the gas cap connected to the vent coming from the carb. with an inline filter connecting the two. Ha!), changed up the oil before I rode the first time and was pretty darn pleased with myself.

So I crank her up and take a spin... Hmmm steering is really stiff... well it is armstrong steering. Wait a sec this is way tooo sticky. Put her up on blocks and lo and behold I can still barely turn the handlebars, really stiff. Well I've been haunting this forum for a while - time to consult the board on my steering problem, any suggestions fellas? I just bought the thing and after reading much of what is available here and contacting the Co. I bought from and got the standard, "Don't know about that but if you need parts don't hesitate..." I am not worried about the warranty just want to get her moving comfortably.

I didn't buy the 250 to tear around on in the woods though where I live there are plenty, I bought it because gas where I live is $1.69 pr litre (over $7 a Gal) and I want cheap transport to and from work. I like tinkering though and get a kick out of the design of these things, really modular and simple if I can get the steering fixed I may buy another though I may bite the bullet and buy a Kawi Mule( cab heater, etc.) but for now just trying to get this one on the road safely.

C'mon back teddy bear/

Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

We had the same trouble with our 250. If you look in front of the tank along the steering shaft you'll see the shaft go through a metal clamp held together by two bolts (I believe they're 12mm). These little buggers were notorious for coming loose and the steering got sloppy. But when we tightened them the steering got really really stiff. So I adjusted them back and then loctited them in.

Hey, have you found an after market bulb for this beast? I'm about to rip the damn headlamps out and install somethings else, something with standard bulbs...

Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey engineer thanks for the response; the other night took all the plastic off in front and had a look and ended up doing exactly what you describe, except for the locktite I'll get some today. Thanks for the backup! I wish I could help you as well. Had a look at where I bought my bike on ebay but they don't have very small parts like bulbs so sorryI don't know where to get bulbs but it seems to me that anything you could fabricate locally will probobly save you a whole lot of time down the road, should it happen again. Best of luck, thanks again for your response.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: theengineer

Hey, have you found an after market bulb for this beast? I'm about to rip the damn headlamps out and install somethings else, something with standard bulbs...</end quote></div>

Light Bulbs

About 1/4 of the way down the page - two varieties 18/18 Watt and brighter 35/35 Watt.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks NJ, I'll use this as an interim fix then scope out some other headlamps.