Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Starter relay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter relay?

Just took my nephews Kymco Mongoose 250 off his hands. It has sat for near a year and I just put a brand new battery in it today. After playing with that, the quad would start up pretty much right away. Even if it didn't turn over right away, I would at least get sound like it was trying to. About an hour after not bothering it, it won't start at all. All I hear is clicking coming from the starter relay under my seat. I jumped it from my car battery and from the battery in the quad directly to the starter and it started both times so I know it isn't the starter. I tried crossing the terminals on the starter relay and got spark/starter reaction. Is the starter relay bad? Like I said, just bought the battery today so I doubt it is that. I will have it tested but if it is charged properly, is it the starter relay?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Range Rover
Default Starter relay?

if you're were able to to jump start it from your car battery, you still have a battery problem, not a relay problem. when you first purchased the new battery did you put it on a 2 amp charger for 4-5 hours ? you need to replace the battery.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Starter relay?

It in fact WAS a starter relay problem. Not a thing wrong with the battery. Got a new one solenoid, put it in and it starts right up.........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Starter relay?

Hey clancaster, how did you jump to the starter, my Gio 250cc has just the one post coming out of the starter itself; went from positve off battery to there and clipped the negetive to the frame, burnt a hole in the post. I'm doing this wrong can you help me out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Starter relay?

Positive clamp of one end of your cables to the starter post, that same end of the cables, clip your negative clamp to a bolt somewhere on your engine (to ground). Touch with your positive clamp on other end of the cables to your positive terminal on your battery, no need to clamp the negative clamp on that end. Once you touch the positive clamp to your positive terminal, it should try to kick over if it's good.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Starter relay?

Thanks for your time; funny I'm doing just what you describe positve to starter post neg to frame, positive end to the positive post and I'm getting meltdown. Could this mean the starter is shot? You'd think the thing would do nothing but click but instead I get heat. this bike is an electric start, no stem on it for a kick start, not sure if this matters maybe you know.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Starter relay?

Not sure. I took out my starter and tested it. Fortunately it's in a nice and easy spot to get out pretty easily. Only two bolts holding it on. I hooked it up to my cars battery (ATV was dead at the time). The starter turned when I put the juice to it so I knew it was battery problem. Later that day the starter solenoid went so replaced that also. Also, should mention that mine is an electric start also so not sure why you aren't getting juice to it. Can you take pics or something of how you are hooking it up? What's getting hot, the part that's coming out of the starter or the battery terminal?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Starter relay?

Hey clanster I posted my pictures still scratching my head. I have pictures on my page don't know how to get the link to here though, maybe someone can help. Look up ggchandler in the members roll. Thanks for the input. I'm looking up parts right now where do you go?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Starter relay?

Hey clanster I posted my pictures still scratching my head. I have pictures on my page don't know how to get the link to here though, maybe someone can help. Look up ggchandler in the members roll. Thanks for the input. I'm looking up parts right now where do you go?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Starter relay?

Quick Reply: Starter relay?