Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

They won't insure kids quads anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They won't insure kids quads anymore!

I got a BIG surprise this week when my insurance company said they would NOT insure our brand new Arctic Cat 150 because it is classified as a kids' quad. They said that the "Financial Services Commission of Ontario" would not licence the company (Meloche Monnex) to insure the AC 150, and there was no exceptions. (I guess the FSCO is the official governing body for the insurance companies.)

This is big news to me, as they insure our other small quads - perhaps this exclusion of youth ATVs is something very recent, and they are allowed to "grandfather in" existing customers. Do any of you other Ontario residents have insurance on small quads, and if so, how recently?

What a total ripoff - maybe I should just take the machine back to the dealer and return it.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a different insurance company. Insurance is a product, like anything else for sale - if somebody doesn't sell what you need, go somewhere else.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

Thanks, Jaybee - I am checking with another agent, but it someone told me that every insurance company in Ontario has to be licensed by FSCO, and if that's true I'm screwed. My only hope is that there is some leeway in the rules defining a kids' ATV.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

I have our viper 90 insured with state farm with no problems..

Old 05-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default i went through this

hello i went through this with registries in alberta. i then got a hold of the goverment of alberta he explained to me that if it has a head light brake light reflectors and a ignition it is not a kids quad therefore it is a standard size quad as long as it has a plate with a vin it can be insured and registered you may have to register it in someone's name that is over 18 though as kids are to be supervised riding these units

Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks, icreac and oldyeller - I will follow up on these ideas/leads.

BTW the organizers at this past weekend's Springjam ATVA jamboree were also very surprised about this "noninsurbale" problem, and they know a lot of people who use ATVs (like, for example, over 300 ATVers who cam to Springjam).

Old 05-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

I do also have the viper insured in my name so adult over 18..

Trending Topics

Old 05-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by oldyeller
I do also have the viper insured in my name so adult over 18..
Well, thank you kindly, oldyeller - I called up a State Farm agent here in Toronto and he had a binder letter issued within a couple of hours, and the cost was $139 per year for the legal minimum isnurance. (No discounts since I do not have anything else insured with them, but maybe I will switch my truck and SUV over as well!)

So how much was your Viper 90 insurance if I may ask?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My reasoning would be that in Ontario since it illegal to ride a ATV without a drivers license anyways they may thing why does a kids quad need insurance.

But that idea is flawed in 2 ways, (1) a new kids quad is still expensive investment in Canada, and fire and theft insurance would still be handy to have for the adult who purchased it.

(2) what if a 16 year old with a Ontario drivers license wanted to take it for a ride off private property?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by check
Well, thank you kindly, oldyeller - I called up a State Farm agent here in Toronto and he had a binder letter issued within a couple of hours, and the cost was $139 per year for the legal minimum isnurance. (No discounts since I do not have anything else insured with them, but maybe I will switch my truck and SUV over as well!)

So how much was your Viper 90 insurance if I may ask?
With taxes included I pay $126 per year so it sounds like you got a pretty good deal as I am a long time customer with all of my vehicles insured there.

Quick Reply: They won't insure kids quads anymore!