Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help with Kids Quad!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Kids Quad!!

Hey,
My daughter is 3 and she currently loves riding her 2-5MPH 12 volt quad. The only issue is it does not travel well off concrete. We have some trails behind our house, and I would love for her to go back there with me. My question is, is 3 years old too young?? She does pretty good on her quad now, and she absolutly loves it. I was thinking of a 49CC that I could adjust the trottle for her. Her safety is the most importnat thing to me as, she is my everything (hence wanting to get her something she really wants lol) Am I starting her too early, or would a nice smaller quad adjusted be ok, if she wears all the protection she needs?? Thanks for your input!!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

I started my son very young as well. he had the battery quad from age 3. at 4 I was thinking the same as you, but after putting him on one at the local Honda shop I realized he was not ready. I waited until he was 6 before I gave him the 50cc.. then to the 110cc ( china ) when he was 9.. then the 250ex when he was 10. the 250 was a little eary, but he beat the crap out of the Kazuma for 12 months and I knew it would not hold up for long. I would say give her a little more time on the battery powered, let her ride around with you for awhile and get cut her loose on the 50cc in a couple years... Sometimes I think we ( myself included ) are to quick to have a riding buddy than our kids are ready for. Just IMO though...

Old 02-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Range Rover

this is my boy & his X-mas present. His birthday is Dec 22nd & he just turned 3. Its all up to you man!YouTube - Kyles x-mas 4-wheeler, raptor 80- the next Seth Russell

Old 02-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

My daughter at 3 weighed about 20lbs.....she was (and still is) very small.

She rode her Kazuma 50cc Wombat (Meerkat is the older version of this) just fine. You can adjust it down to a slow crawl......so it would be basically like riding a battery quad with real rubber tires.

This is her on it (after cutting her own hair, hence the short hair cut)

Name:  IMAG0113.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  76.5 KB

Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

Aaron,
Great Photo and nice looking daughter and quad. I will look into that model as my daughter is small for her age also. I think I am going to look into getting one that is safe for her. She would really love it, and given the right area to ride, and right protection, she should be fine!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by BrettLT230
Aaron,
Great Photo and nice looking daughter and quad. I will look into that model as my daughter is small for her age also. I think I am going to look into getting one that is safe for her. She would really love it, and given the right area to ride, and right protection, she should be fine!!!
Chinese quads get a bad rap....and some of them rightfully so. However this Kazuma is easily one of the most solid mini-quads Ive owned out of China. Its overbuilt. As for safety it has a pull cord on the back so you can walk behind it.....if need be pull the cord and the engine dies. It also has a strap you can hook on the rider so if they fall off it dies.

It always starts easily....and its barely audible when its running - no scare factor here at all. In fact when its being ridden alongside the Power Wheels Barbie Mustang the electric toy is FAR noisier.

.....but its not all sunshine and smiles. The downside to this quad. The suspensions sucks. There is a rear mono shock.....and NOTHING up front. If it gets rough this quad gets bouncy. My theory is that this is a starter yard quad.....and when she gets good enough to ride in the rough its time for a bigger quad.

The small quads from the big 4 that had full suspension were WAY bigger then this little Kazuma.....and therefore out of size range for my wee one.

No matter....when shes ready for a bigger quad my sons LT80 is setting there ready for a rider.....hes moving up to a Honda 200cc machine in the near future.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:30 AM
Trailblazer

I agree the wombat would be a good choice, my son has had a Meerkat for about 5 yrs. He has crossed a shallow river, went through the mud pit several times, and has had it a couple feet in the air. All that and no major problems. He is getting to big for it now, I will need to find him a good replacement soon.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 89stp
I agree the wombat would be a good choice, my son has had a Meerkat for about 5 yrs. He has crossed a shallow river, went through the mud pit several times, and has had it a couple feet in the air. All that and no major problems. He is getting to big for it now, I will need to find him a good replacement soon.
See if you can score a good used Suzuki LT80. Thats my sons daily rider now - hes actually riding my Honda Fourtrax 200 more and more so he may be moving up soon.

The LT80 is a good solid quad and can usually be had for $600 to $800 used. THey have basically been the same since 1987 so parts are plentiful. Heck Ive bought a couple with trashed motors for $100 each just to have spare parts around....Ive got LT80 parts stacked to the ceiling in my garage.

Good little quads for the money.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

Is the LT80 a good size for a smaller 3 year old. Do you think your daughter would fit on one (as she seems the size of my daughter) Definitly would look into one if they are the right size!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

80 Is to big for a three year old. My daughter started ridin her suzuki lta 50 at three. The suzukis are smller framed but she is very tall.you can slow it down to a crawl but that is about all they do in stock form anyways. She got bored real quick and we were makin it faster. I find the only hard thing at that age is their attention span and rememberin to use the brakes. Not to sound to proud but my daughter is ahead of most kids her age though. She is about to turn 4 and I think we will be lucky to get another summer out of the 50 physical size whise along with power and I have done about all that can be done powerwise. I think the suzuki 50 would be a good choice for a small child.

Quick Reply: Help with Kids Quad!!