Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

83 honda oddessey

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 honda oddessey

I have this oddessey that I just can't get started. When I got it we got it to run a couple of seconds from some starting fluid. He had ir completly taken apart and when I got it home I got everything back on and now it just doesn't work. It has 2 spark plugs on the top for the dual fire but only 1 line off the coil. I have looked for this on the net but haven't seen anything like it. Could this be the problem? I have spark, compression and am getting gas so it's lost on me. I've rebuilt a lot of chinese atvs and gocarts and have never had a problem like this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and tried.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Trailblazer

Is your fuel pump working? Crank seals good? There is a check valve thing with 3 lines in it, one to the carb, one to the pump, and one to the top of the fuel tank filler neck, is that good and hooked up right? Also, is your fuel pump vacuum line hooked up and not split? They only use 1 spark plug on these motors, I think they have 2 holes for motorcycle use or something like that, I have always seen them with a bolt in the other hole.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry man, you lost me. I'm use to getting chinese stuff that needs suspension work. I really know nothing about small engines. I know the compression test was 119 and the carb is brand new. The fuel pump is pumping gas and I replaced all the lines but just routed them to what I saw on there. It is getting gas, has compression but I'm just not sure the spark is strong enough. I got a new cdi and it did nothing. What is the coil suppose to register at? I'm guessing 3 ohms but I'm not sure. I ordered a manual but it was on backorder and I still haven't recieved it. Thanks for the stuff to check, I'm going to keep working on it and checking everything, I really want to see this baby go again.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Trailblazer

I am not sure what the coils are supposed to register at off the top of my head. Mine did have the CDI ignition, but it was hard to start when I transported it, and not the easiest when cold either. I had a weak spark, and that turned out to be a bad stator. I had a 78 parts odyssey, and I retrofitted the points system from that into mine, and it runs like a champ now, but the points ignition is only 6V, and the CDI is 12V, so the headlight is not the brightest.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I like the new 2011 Honda Odyssey very reliable I,m told.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

Not as fun though. WTF is up with that goofy window line right behind the side sliding door? Looks like the welded a different van to the back.