Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

need help troubleshooting bar start switch/remote start

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help troubleshooting bar start switch/remote start

I bought a 06 Tao Tao 90cc utility type ATV for my boy and it just stopped starting. It started on ether using the bar switch when I bought it. I removed the carb and cleaned it. After reinstalling it the bar mounted start switch doesn't work. I accidentally figured out it had a remote start. I knew it had an alarm/kill switch but the remote start wasn't mentioned. It didn't need the key at all,except for headlights, as long as the run switch was on. This worked fine for a day but it just stopped everything all of the sudden. The lights work and the battery is fully charged but no start or alarm.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does the brake switch still work? the left handlebar lever has a safety interlock that'll prevent the starter from cranking due to the possibility of the quad moving. if you engage the lever and hear a "tink" up there, then you know your switch is working, of course check the brake light for illumination if the bulb is working. sometimes the switch wiring on the on/off up there gets stressed and will pull apart inside the housing. after checking using the pull/tug method, you may need to pull that switch housing apart on the on/off switch and check wire terminations.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the remotely start/alarm to work, just a bad connection at fuse. The on/off switch still works but the bar mounted starter button does not. I'm thinking its in the key switch cuz it will start with the remote without turning the key to on. The break lights do not work at all even with the parking break lock engaged so that could be part of the problem. Not sure how to test that. No "tink" when engaged.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, the "tink" is at the handlebar where the switch is located, it is very faint. BUT, i guess it sounds like you may have to pull the switch assembly apart. the contacts may have some dirt/crud in there. those assembly ain't sealed very good. OR, it could be a loose wire connection into the brake switch going to the interlock system.