Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Mini hummer no start

Old 07-01-2015, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini hummer no start

I picked up this quad as a starter for my kiddies. It needed a new battery and was able to get it to start after I swapped out the carb with one of my friends spares just to see. So I need to clean the carb but in order to get it to start I had to jump the solenoid as there's no power on the one post. So I"m starting to check for power at the key first. I have power in the red wire and that's all. I'm assuming that once the key is turned the power should travel down the other red wire with the white stripe to wherever. I have downloaded the wiring diagram but that might as well be French to me. Anywho, there's no power to the headlights or tail lights so that's why I started with the key thinking the power was stopping there.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Pull the key switch out and look closely at the back. I had one where the wire was hanging on by 1 strand. Gave exact same issue you have. Easy fix

Old 07-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks will do

Old 07-03-2015, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Pulled it out and seen nothing loose so I figured well it's on the inside so I might as well buy a new one. I cleaned the carb with my sonic cleaner and put it back together. All it did was crank,over jumping the solenoid so,I figure I might as well as hook up that switch I case it was still completing the circuit. So I was playing around cranking it over when my son came up and pressed the starter button and I'll be damned if it don't crank over. That and now the headlights work but the tail lights don't so I checked and there's power so I figure the bulbs are nfg. Now it will kinda run on starting fluid so I'm not sure if I have the screws out properly, so what should the two ones on the side be at as well as the one in the float bowl? Oh and where do the two hoses go off the side.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Those handle bar switches are flaky at best.. I got a heavy duty waterproof push button switch and wired it direct to solenoid on starter. Still works with the key as none of the electronics get power till key is on.. 3 years and still works great.
The air/idle screw on the side is around 2 1/2 turns out from bottom. the front mixture screw i think is set the same cant remember as the instructions i found for that one was tuned by ear. the ones in float should be snug i don't remember anything in or on float bole that needs adjustment

Old 07-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I'll start with those numbers.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

K I set those and I was wondering if I was getting fuel so I unscrewed the drain screw and nothing came out. So I took the carb out, took the blow off and hooked it up to the fuel line and placed it low so gravity would do its thing and yeah no fuel. I was playing with the float and the needle was sticking. Got that all good now I have fuel constantly coming out the top right side something so I plugged that with a bolt and hose, now I have it coming out the drain on the bottom with the screw all the way in. I'm thinking that it's now getting too much fuel and is hitting the overflow and by plugging one, it goes to the second overflow? I did bend the lever off the bottom of the float to get fuel flowing. I think there might be fuel in the actual float causing it to stay on the bottom.