KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

moto spitting and spuddering

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moto spitting and spuddering

Last saturday at the track my bike started spitting and spuddering while riding it. I brought it home and changed the plug just to be safe and rode it up the road and it was fine. Well later on that day I went to the track again and it started spuddering again. So far I have checked all the connection or the starter, battery, changed the plug and the fuel filter. We even hooked it up to the computer at the track and it didnt list any electrical problem and all the fuel stuff was fine. I had the mechanic of the local shop do it at the track I didnt, he said it all checked out. When I give it the gas though all it does is spit and spudder. Although it doesnt sound as bad when its wide open or just idleing. Idleing it does have a little pop to it but not nothing like it does when you give it gas. I thought it was some bad gas so I also drained the tank and put new in. I just did this a few minutes ago and in the garage you could see it shooting flames out the exhaust. I know this is normal when you rev hitting the rev limiter but this was reving like half throttle then letting off. So any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-11-2003, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Fuel filter

Old 07-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Does sound like a fuel restriction somewhere.Do a throttle calibration?

Old 07-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer

You might have an o-ring that has swollen on the quick connects.
Especially if you have used fuel additives.

Old 07-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

I did change the fuel filter and that didnt do it. I thought that is what is was. I think its electrical cause it seems to be miss firing. Like I said it will shoot sparks when i give it gas. But I am no mechanic so I am not sure. My orings seemed to be fine yesterday when I had my tank off. I have pretty much looked at everything I could think of it being.
Although, a week or two ago I came off the track and I had a vacuum line off my fuel regulater hanging down. It ran fine though so I am not sure what its for but I fixed it and raced it again before all this happened. But I wonder if this vacuum had something to do with it? I do know that my friends cannibal had the same thing happen the vacuum come off the regulater and his is still running fine. I just though I shoudl tell you all that just incase it could have something to do with it.