KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Cannondale a bargain if it doesn't need expensive mods like DS and Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't wait any longer for the Cannondale. So I just bought a DS-650 thinking it needed little modification compared to the Raptor. Convinced that a Raptor needed +2,+1,A-arms,$695, axle $300, front shocks,$335(at least), tires, $300, at the very least. That's well over $1600 and the Raptor is going for $6400 in Deming + tax and license. So it is right up there at $8,000, Cannondale country.
So I bought the Bombadier,$6500 out the door with registration, my only regret being no reverse. Right away it needed upper A-arms, Timmy Boy, $395, XCT tires, $300, Works Steeler front shocks, $335, add a sprocket and a skidplate and we're well over a grand. So the Bomb really costs $7,500+ and the Raptor $8,000.
If the Cannondale really does come ready to rock, like I thought the Bomb was, then it is a good deal.
By the way, these modifications really smooth out the handling (I don't have the Works front shocks yet, stock shocks are too stiff and not adjustable)
I wouldn't own/ride the Bomb without this stuff.
It is a great quad that really comes alive with these essential refinements.

Old 04-01-2001, 03:09 AM
Pro Rider

The Raptor has fine shocks. The only thing that is really needed is a wider axle. The tires bite great. No need for A Arms on it. The one thing that is needed is a extended swingarm to keep the front end down from all the power

Old 04-01-2001, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

I just put a 14t front sprocket on my Raptor and that helps to keep the front end down ALOT. But I wouldn't add a bigger front sprocket on without doing a few performance mods to make sure it can pull the higher gearing.

Old 04-01-2001, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

The FX400 hs about the same dimensions as a 400EX, so if you want to go wider than that you are looking at A-arms and axle. It sounds like heavier riders may need a revalve on the shocks if they are aggressive. Also, from the report on this site, all you need is a laptop computer and Cannondale's software to compensate for engine mods. Kind of unclear if the onboard computer will compensate for jetting changes for things like altitude and tempature.

Old 04-01-2001, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

Congratulations you have been suckered into buying a over size paperweight, and saved a wopping $500 WOW. Do I feel stupid for buying a Raptor now

and never mind the fx400 (the FROG ) wait till it comes time for parts Oh boy will that be fun!!!!

Old 04-01-2001, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

You are such an A-hole. I am constantly amazed by your intelligent, thought provoking posts.

Old 04-01-2001, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think the onboard computer has to do any compensation to JETTING. The engine is fuel injected. Thus no jets, just injectors.

Old 04-01-2001, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

If you prefer, I can refer to it as a fuel air mixture. And yes, the on board computer will handle how long the injector stays on. This is called the injector's duty cycle. The injector only has open and closed functions. If the engine requires less fuel, the injector opens for a very short time, more fuel requires more time open.
Right know, my question is whether or not the computer will automaticall compensate for altitude, tempature, and engine changes. Even the most basic systems require a few sensors to operate in open loop and cloosed loop. It would need at least a throttle position sensor, coolant tempature sensor, and an O2 sensor ( I would think)
Can anybody look on one and post where the machine has wires going to places where there normally wouldn't be any? (air box, exhaust header, somewhere in the head or coolant system.)

Old 04-02-2001, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

Im an A-hole ok Tuff guy

The cannondale is a first year production from a company that has never produced a quad !

The Frame comes with warnings to watch for stress fractures. (BY THE WAY SLICK THATS WHERE YOUR OIL IS HELD NICE PLACE FOR A OIL LEAK)
The machine is bacilly a buffed up 400ex they just about coppied the EX.

The fuel injection system can only compensate for a few mods and then its back to the shop for injectors (WHICH CANONDALE PROBABLY WILL NOT HAVE FOR AT LEAST THE FIRST YEAR )
Mods are going to be very limited for a motor thats already pushing its maxs ??

There have been no production models really tested against a existing machine. the only test are by cannondale (how much does that really count for)
The fx400 is really a 432 so it better be able to beat a 400EX, but that will be about all I'll believe till I see a " production model " beat a raptor or a DS650.

So Mr master of the minds read the info if you want to rage war !!

Or just bring your quad and well see how it shapes up from there

What do you ride anyway !!

Old 04-02-2001, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer

rraptor13, or should i say slaptor ( means slow raptor ) just sounds like you are not happy that a 432cc can take your big 660, by the way what are you doing in the cannondale room , could it be that you are worried ? lets let you answer that.

Quick Reply: Cannondale a bargain if it doesn't need expensive mods like DS and Raptor