KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Cannondale FX400/Cannibal Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 12:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Guys, finally got about 20hrs on the Cannibal and thought it was time for a report.

I got my Cannibal about 3 months ago for $6995 and they threw in about $400 in riding gear. The dealership was fair at best, it was difficult to find any that had sold more than say 4. I was immediately impressed with the power, although it was a bit difficult hanging on at first till I got used to the seat which is a bit wide and a little more difficult to grab with your knees. Bought Knee pads and they helped, now bad scratches up and down the sides from the pads. Anyway, immediately bought a WER steering dampner to save my arms in the rough stuff as I'm 32 and getting older by the day. The dampner helps alot but still getting lot's of arm pump. So, bought renthal bars which really helped. Still waiting on steering stem to further smooth out the front.

Maintenance has been brutal compared to my 250ex. After breakin I took it to the dealer and was a little leary whether they knew what they were doing, they did OK, but it wouldnt start when I got home. Changed plug and everything was fine. Next maint. after 10hrs, I performance maint. and although I'm not really mech. inclined, was able to complete after 5hrs of tinkering. Now that that's done, I go riding and bolts for rear sprocket have come loose, went into edge of swingarm and took a small piece off the back corner of the swingarm where the bolts hold it together. Not sure if this will cause problems as it is very small, sprocket seems ok but am a little worried about structural integrity. Moral of that story is check your bolts before every ride. Also, now using lock-tight.

Power and Handling

I have yet to race anything in my area that compares. Anyone in the Rochester, NY are and thinks they can handle the Cannibal in a drag, email me so we can hookup!!

In the handling dept., this machine is very close to a 400ex stock. Does not ride as nice on the trails, but when pushed hard the FX400 will take a 400ex in the corners. There is definitely more arm pump than the 400ex, a good steering dampner and good bars will help until, steering stem, and A-Arms are available. I am still looking for someone in Rochester, NY area that wants to ride or knows of anyplace good nearby. I have practiced at the local MX track but am still learning. Maybe will race next year.

Recommendations:
If you are looking to buy a Cannibal make sure your dealer has sold at least 6, so they know what they are doing.

Be prepared for a very involved maint. schedule, although if you are used to doing your own maint., this may not be a big deal.

Get the Speed, There are many improvements that make it work the extra $1K.

If you are going to race, wait and get the Moto.

Old 11-22-2001, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

SparkyEX, Good report.

If you are used to the 250EX, you will get loads of arm pump because of the change in acceleration. I experienced arm pump when I went from my Banshee to my 250R, just because the R accelerated so much harder.

Honda was really bad about nuts coming loose.. All my sprocket bolts have loctite on them.

Glad to see someone has the faith to step out on a limb and support the only company supporting us. Ride On...

Old 11-24-2001, 06:46 AM
Range Rover

lonestarbanshee; That's funny!!!! The 250r accelerated so much harder than a Banshee....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2001, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Don't let anyone fool you. 250R's do pull harder than Banshees. Or at least mine. I have kept the motor all stock, with FMF silencers because I want to sell it, and I look for a quad that doesn't have too much done to the motor when i'm buying.

Don't make me bring the VTR1000 over there and spank that puny GSXR

Old 11-24-2001, 12:03 PM
Range Rover

If 250r's accelerate faster than banshees, then why don't they beat shees off the line in a drag?

Banshees have a 100 cc advantage over the 250r, and also rev quicker.

Old 11-25-2001, 06:41 AM
Range Rover

lonestarbanshee; A stock 250r is very unlikely to beat a Banshee in a drag-race...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] As far your Honda VTR1000 (RC51) it's a nice bike...but if you go by the stats. a GSX-R750 will stomp it & the Honda 929!!!! Talk about killing two birds with one stone.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2001, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

Oops, I thought I replied to this the other day... Guess not.

SaMsOn, read my post again buddy. I said MY 250R will outrun MY Banshee. It might not outrun yours, but I never said it would. Usually, a 250R will pull ahead of a Banshee in the starts, just because of the lack of traction a Banshee gets. My Banshee has FMF silencers, and RAD Valves.. that's it.. The 250R has an FMF Fatty, Powercore, HyTech spacer, mid porting, 38mm air stryker and has been bored .20 over.

Maxima, stats aren't always "seat-of-the-pants" though. The RC51 has taken the championship in GP racing back to back now. Looks like the others have caught up though. I really like the VTR. It has D&D pipes, full fairing, tinted screen, gripper seat and a tank bra. I pulled up behind a Busa, dropped it from 4th to 2nd in Shreveport one time.. It turned his head pretty quick. THere's nothing better than having another biker check your ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2001, 12:31 PM
Range Rover

lonestarbanshee; Cycleworld (July 01 issue). Honda VTR1000 Best lap=1:53.04 Trap Speed 140.4mph. Quote; "Hard to believe they won a world title with this bike"-Laurent Cochet, Moto Journal. Suzuki GSX-R750 Best lap=1:51.82 Trap Speed 150.4mph. Quote; "Incredible combination of power, nimbleness and speed through the corners."-Claudio Corsetti, Moto Sprint. I totally agree that "seat of the pants" stats. aren't accurate, that's why I provided you with a little information....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2001, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Maxima... All I have to say to you is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I like the GSXR, it felt very light compared to the VTR, and handled well. I guess the deciding factor to me was the little Texas flat on the D&D pipes, and the way it sounds.

Old 11-27-2001, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, keep it on topic, kidding! Since I don't know where else to ask, anyone ride a Busa yet?

Quick Reply: Cannondale FX400/Cannibal Report