KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Enough already with the CornDog bashing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys, I've not responded before when everyone else was on Corndog's back in regards to the Cannibal he bought did not have the new computer and fuel injection system. Let's cut him some slack and here is why I say that. I think we all agree one thing that we love about our C'dales is how quick they are to resolve issues and make design changes. All other manufactures will wait until the next model year or not even resolve problems, so hats off to Cannondale for that. But I think a valid point in what CornDog is indirectly saying is, had he known some of the later model 2002's Cannibal's were going to have some features that his did not have, he probably would have waited a couple months and got one of the models with those features. At least he would have been given the information that design changes were going to be appearing in the Cannibals. Now granted, then you run the risk of not getting the better quality Ohlin shocks. But I think one thing that Cannondale could have done better in regards to the new computer and fuel injection system is to offer it on those early Cannibals at no charge once they started shipping the Cannibals which had the new computer and fuel injection system. And the reason I say this is because they are all 2002 units. You cannot use the same logic for last year's FX400 and retrofit those, it was a different model year. You expect model year and models to change with new features and bug fixes. It basically boiled down to Cannondale was just getting rid of those old computers and the old fuel injection system. I'm not bashing Cannondale here just saying they might have treated the owners of these "older" 2002 Cannibals a little differently. Besides, were only talking some 200 - 300 units, it's not like there would have been thousands of these out there to deal with. So let's just take a step back and try to understand CornDog's view point on this, I certainly can understand where he's coming from and he has a point.

BTW, Mark at Cannondale came through! My new chain slide just arrived FEDEX!! Love this company!!

Old 04-06-2002, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Brian, actually corndog did (or should have known) about the 1000 computer. When he bought his, the 1000 computered Cannibals were already out. He bought his quad used, so the fact that C-dale GAVE him a new engine rail when there has been more than one owner of that quad, is already unheard of any where else. He thinks if he can get one thing for free, he should get anything like that, but we are bashing him because the new technology was already available to him when he bought his quad.

Old 04-06-2002, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I was under the impression he had bought the quad new. Totally different situation then on a used quad!

Old 04-06-2002, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Brian,

Not trying to start anything, but some of my history comes into play on this one. I've sold New and Used Cars and Boats, for alot of years (and alot of other things, no longer in that line of work). The manufactures usally try to make new model corrections/upgrades when the new model come out. That isn't always possible. Maybe there was a supply issue? Cheaper for the newer parts? Reduced manufacturing cost? Who knows?

In this paticular case, the new ones where avalible at dealerships, if someone buys a used one to save some money great. Should the rest of us be upset or concerned? What if Cannondale would have waited until the 2003 to bring out the 1000ECU and other items? All of the 2002 buyers where aware of a developing market. Based on all the magizine articles, you knew they would improve on the fly.

Personaly, I would rather have a company improve on the fly instead of waiting like the rest of them. I get a better bike now and don't have to wait. I'm into instand gratifacation.

I would have said the same be it Honda, Cannondale, Yamaha, or Suzuki.

Concerning the Corndog, I'm will be ignoring any of his questions until I see that the the manner in which he asks is more mature, or I see the pictures of a broken rail. We live in America and he does have the right to say what he thinks, It's my right to ignore him.

Later,

Smitty

Old 04-07-2002, 12:44 AM
The Facility

Wanna know something strange? We had a unit in the #800 range with the EC500 AND a unit in the #700 range with a EC1000!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if the frames were already made up and were not assembled in any particular order or what, but it happened. The #800 model still had the "early '02" Cannibal front plastic also........Strange

Old 04-07-2002, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

I was wondering how many units have been built so far. If you say 800 is the serial number not bad. Thats over $4,000,000.00 in sales plus the motorcycles. I think they are doing great so far.

Later

Smitty

Old 04-07-2002, 03:57 AM
The Facility

I'm not sure how many have been produced so far. Only Mr. Montgomery could answer that right now.

The one's we had in the #800 range came in in January, so I figure they doing VERY well with the Cannibal sales. We have sold more Cannibals than we have Raptors since December!!!

I don't know what to make of that unit with the EC500 on it. It's the only one that I have seen with a serial number that high. It sold about a month ago and the guy who bought it,races it at the local drag strip on Sundays. He runs in the stock class. The only thing his class allows you to change are the filter and exhaust.

He has done nothing to his and has only been beaten by one quad so far. A Banshee with a set of Toomey pipes. Not bad considering that the class is mostly made up of Raptors and Banshees. This just goes to show you that the EC500 Cannibals are NOT slower than the EC1000 versions.

Old 04-07-2002, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with Brian on his original point. I purchased Speed # 24 in January, then in February they started shipping with a reinforced swingarm. Had I known this I probably would have waited. I doubt that I ride anywhere near hard enough to break my old style a-arm, but thats not really the point. Whats going to happen if we ever try to sell? Anyone looking to buy used that does there homework will be looking for a unit with all the updates and we will have to reduce our price because of the inferior parts. I agree that it's great that they make improvements throughout the year but that does effect us all because there is no true standard for any given model year. The swingarm is the only difference I'm aware of with the Speed, but look at all the different variations of the Cannibal. I've heard over and over on this board advising people to look for a Cannibal with Ohlins, Magura, and EC1000 because they are the best value, and they are but what does this say about the value of a Cannibal with Arvins or a 500 computer? And remember it's only April, what's an 02 model going to look like in Aug?

Old 04-07-2002, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Jay,

I have to disagree with you on your "time to sell point", my speed isn't upgraded either. I'm not concerned with the resell price. I will probably keep this quad for lots of years. All vechicials have BOTTOM price. That what I call the lowest price you can find one for reguardless of the condition. Finding a '65 Mustang coupe the lowest price for a running one in SoCal is around 3,500. Full size truck, good conditon, around $2,000. Any old running Jet boat $2,500. All of these will bottom out, you might say.

Right now you can't find good used 400 for under 3,500, 250R's for about the same. I don't think onw over the other is going to play out well. IMHO.

Smitty

Old 04-07-2002, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

smitty, stop being a dick. JayBR you have the right idea! I am wondering how much i will be able to sell the cannibal for because it is one of the very few with a 500 computer. when i bought this machine, i was told it was either 500/ohlins or 1000/arvins and some smaller upgrades. Yodaddy even told me he had a 500 computer up till a few weeks ago, which i don't see how he could miss the big 1000 or 500 by the airfilter. i want updates to be made for the next year, but not during the same year. also, their is a $500 price tag with the 1000 computer, i really don't mind minor things like a reinforced swingarm.

Quick Reply: Enough already with the CornDog bashing!