KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Drag racin Dale!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, like I said in another post, I'm going to go to a 400ft. drag w/ my completely stock Dale. Any suggestions on what I can do to get some more acceleration and speed? Also, this may be a stupid question but I'll ask any ways. Since the EFI atuomatically compensates for more or less air, would drag racing w/o the front plastics require remapping? For those who don't know, the c-dales front plastics acts as a air-box cover. If yall have ANY other hints or tips on how to kick @ss at a drag race, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I REALLY WANNA WIN!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

on my "C"1st gear goes by real quick and the gears seem to stretch out in an
ascending order
wind out third and fourth all the way to the rev limiter,specially 4th gear,
my 5th gear bogs if i dont take 4th all the way out
the power is there in those high revs unlike say a stock 400ex that has no power
in the high rpm range,it just keeps coming
cant wait to hear your results....good luck!

Old 04-09-2002, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of surface is the race on and what kind of tires are you using? Make sure you have your start procedure down pat. Figure out if you are fastest just dumping the clutch with low, medium, or high RPMs or if you are fastest slipping the clutch with low, medium, or high RPMs. My experience is to slip the clutch with medium RPM's so I don't really spin the tires and I float the front end about 6"-8" of the ground. This is how I approach a start for harescrambles on my Raptor and how I used to dragrace my Buell X-1 Lightning that I used to have. Track surface and tires will play a big role in what works best, its up to you to experiment and find out. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

if u really wanna win..... stay away from has many raptors as possible!!! and if u do race them im sorry u lost!

now before all u cdale people get all pissed off.. JUST HAVIN A LITTLE FUN W/ YOU GUYS!!

Old 04-09-2002, 09:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Remember, Take off is the crucial part, So practice your take-offs in Second, and your wieght transfer into 3rd. Also remember to tuck-in your knee's,elbows,and keep your head down. The wind drag on your body in the upper gears can really slow you down.GOOD LUCK!

Biggerisbetter.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Best advice is to start in 2nd gear, not first.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I believe the races will be held on a sandy loam.

Would racing w/o the front plastic require remapping??? I want to get more air into the motor but if I have to remap, than I won't mess w/ it.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

I would find out at what rpm your motor makes its most horse power before your machine starts to sign off then adjust your sprockets accordingly. Wether it be fourth or fifth gear, when you cross that 400' finish line you need to be at the rpm level that your machine creates the most torqueb & hp. You never want bump your rev-limiter when your drag racing, it results in a loss of time

Old 04-09-2002, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I'm not fixing my quad up for Drag racing... I race MX and I'm still trying to decide if I want to go to the drag races or race at my favorite MX track.

Old 04-09-2002, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Guys... I think I've pretty muchly decide to not go to the drag race and go to the mx race the next day. The whole reason I wanted to go to the drag races is for the 1st and 2nd place prize $ but that is already takin the fun out of riding. When I'm thinking about a race in the up coming weekend, I'm looking forward to the riding and getting big air, but now I was just looking forward to the money and that goes against everything I stand by and just takes the fun out of riding. So like I said, I think that I'm just gonna go to the MX race the next day (since I can't afford both)... besides, that race is gonna be at my favorite track which was the first track I ever saw and rode at.

Quick Reply: Drag racin Dale!!!!