KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Quads tearing up the track ?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 09:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was just something happening here in NY. At our last race we Quaders complained to management that we where tired of being the last moto's out. The track owners mother snapped back and said " you are lucky we even let you ride". " You guys ruin the track for the bikes". One of the guys with us snapped back at her and said "then why do you groom the track if the bikers like the ruts ??". Big pause, no comment, " next".

One of the other tracks works with the Quader's big time. They rotate the quad classes at every race. Quads are first, middle and towards end of the moto's. We've been racing for three years at this track and have not heard one biker complain about the "damage" we do to the track.

The quad classes get the biggest crowds and the most ohhhhh's and ahhhh's. About once a month a quad gets bent out of shape and ends up in the watering pond. It's a sight to be seen. No one has ever gotten hurt and the track crew has always been there in seconds.

Sorry, got a little carried away. So what have you guys done to get some respect??? We have five tracks holding races in our district and two of them tracks dont allow quads. Any suggestions on getting them to allow us???. They could care less about the money!!.

Old 06-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Geez,that sux!! Sounds just like you ran into a BAD track owner. You wont get respect from them. Go to another track.

Old 06-03-2002, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Dawzie,
I haven't heard that complaint "officially", but we have had guys on bikes wine to us that we were tearing up the jump faces. This was ridiculous since we all know that can't be the case. Bikes do much more damage to the track and jump faces, especially approaches to the jumps; than we could ever hope to do. We are still the last motos to go out each weekend, but quad racing is new up here. We do get the biggest ooooohs and aaaaaaaahhs like you said, and I believe we draw more of a crowd for our 2 wheeled "friends". One interesting point is that the track owner made a point to tell us they looked forward to us quads going out during our practice motos and "fixing" the track. She said we clean up the ruts for them....go figure..........JIM

My quad page

Old 06-03-2002, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Same problem here in Tulsa, local track has got to the point where they won't even let the quads practice, they'll certainly let you come out and race on Friday nights and collect your money but on Tuesdays when they are open for practice, only the bikes get to run. The track owner said the bikes were complaining about the quads were taking away from their riding times. Of course the bikes out numbered the quad riders by 20:1 but maybe the track would get more quad riders to come out if they weren't so biased!!

Old 06-03-2002, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

You could talk to all of the quad rider and do a little experiment.

Have them Groom the track fresh, have only the bikes run on that day and look at the overall wear and need for grooming of the track.

The next day quads only and do the same thing, fresh gromed track and check for wear or need to regroom at the end of the day.

That should prove one way or the other which is harder on the track.

The next problem will be having enough quads show up for a good test.

Good luck

Smitty

Old 06-03-2002, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

The quads run here very first. Then at the break they groom the track and the quads go first again. Quads will torture you to death on a track after dirtbikes have rutted it all up.....

Old 06-04-2002, 01:17 AM
The Facility

Well, tracks vary from one to another, but nearly all have the same bad attitude towards quad riders.

At the local track here, the watering system really stinks.

They water it that morning.

Quads practice first!! Why?? To get rid of the mud!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Then they water down the track again.

Quads run the first moto before the bikes!! Why?? To get rid of the mud!!

Guess what? In the second moto...quads run LAST

Tropy presentations....bikes first being announced over the speakers.

Quad riders have to walk to the back of a pick up truck and get their trophy from a 15 yearold kid and then you go home.

Thats pretty much the way it works at all the motocross tracks around here. That's why I have been more focused on woods racing this year. The atmosphere is much more friendly on all levels. Even the dirtbike guys like you because you "widen" the trail for the bikes when they race.

Old 06-04-2002, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I just got the worst case of "quad racism" this last weekend. We all have to practice last so that the bikes don't have to run on a "torn up" track and then we race towards the middle (#13 out of 23 motos) so I thought, "Ok, thats cool." Well, we lined up at the gate for our race and it turns out that Ronnie (the track owner that treats all riders "equally&quot decided he should run the expert and amature classes AT THE SAME DAMN TIME! Okay, that just sucked but I could deal w/ it but then I see the dang 18-wheeler they use for a water truck pull on the track and we are stuck waiting for another long *** time. They water the whole track using 3 hoses that look like they came off of a fire truck and then watered it again using a red truck that sprays infront and behind him. By that time, there were puddles about 6 in deep right infront of the jumps and in the first lap, some guy was gonna hit a jump right out of the corner and he was sliding so much that he just slid off the side of the face of the jump. Just to make things worse, they watered it AGAIN between our 1st and 2nd lap!!! just right in the middle of our race! Afterwards, we are completely covered in mud, I didn't make ONE DAMN JUMP, and there was even a pro class rider that was behind me... and I got 10th in the amature class. Me and about 8 or 9 other quad riders went up to the owner and told him that we weren't goin to race at that track again and that we would be sure to tell the other track owners (who all seem to treat the quad riders really good) all about how we were being treated like crap at Fourstates MX. He told us that he has to water the track and that if we didn't like it, we could get our money back. Hell, we know the track needs to be watered, but when people are sliding off the side of jumps, and a pro rider can't even catch a amature racer, and I tap the brakes and I'm almost doin a 180 on a 45 degree corner, it's just a tad to much water.

Old 06-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

<< Well, I just got the worst case of &quot;quad racism&quot; this last weekend. We all have to practice last so that the bikes don't have to run on a &quot;torn up&quot; track and then we race towards the middle (#13 out of 23 motos) so I thought, &quot;Ok, thats cool.&quot; Well, we lined up at the gate for our race and it turns out that Ronnie (the track owner that treats all riders &quot;equally&quot decided he should run the expert and amature classes AT THE SAME DAMN TIME! Okay, that just sucked but I could deal w/ it but then I see the dang 18-wheeler they use for a water truck pull on the track and we are stuck waiting for another long *** time. They water the whole track using 3 hoses that look like they came off of a fire truck and then watered it again using a red truck that sprays infront and behind him. By that time, there were puddles about 6 in deep right infront of the jumps and in the first lap, some guy was gonna hit a jump right out of the corner and he was sliding so much that he just slid off the side of the face of the jump. Just to make things worse, they watered it AGAIN between our 1st and 2nd lap!!! just right in the middle of our race! Afterwards, we are completely covered in mud, I didn't make ONE DAMN JUMP, and there was even a pro class rider that was behind me... and I got 10th in the amature class. Me and about 8 or 9 other quad riders went up to the owner and told him that we weren't goin to race at that track again and that we would be sure to tell the other track owners (who all seem to treat the quad riders really good) all about how we were being treated like crap at Fourstates MX. He told us that he has to water the track and that if we didn't like it, we could get our money back. Hell, we know the track needs to be watered, but when people are sliding off the side of jumps, and a pro rider can't even catch a amature racer, and I tap the brakes and I'm almost doin a 180 on a 45 degree corner, it's just a tad to much water. >>

That could get DANGEROUS. But of course quadracing always is.

Reminds me of why they closed the track on firetower rd. Down here because of NOISE? What the heck do they expect? Us to be Quiet?

Old 06-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Dawzie - as you know I race in the NEATV series. Luckily we run quad only races. I think this is the only way to go. I have yet to go to a race where the bikes and quads run on the same day, and to tell you the truth, I have no interest. I have been on practice tracks that were rutted from the bikes and the jumps never kick you level. Whoops are all sized wrong.

In the case of the New England/NY area. Something needs to be done to help each other out. Last year we got 3 dates at Walden, but this year they did not want us back.

District 34 and NEATV should work together to help the sport grow in our area!

Quick Reply: Quads tearing up the track ?????