KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

ATV Action's z400 vs. Cannibal Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my biggest question after thinking about this. If the Cannondale and Z400 are in different categories aimed at different riding groups why shoot them out under the same category based on the Z400's marketing group? Doesn't this seem retarded on top of the fact that all the test riders disagree and the Cannibal beat the Z400 in every race test? I don't get it it's like shooting out the 400ex and the wolverine one is a sport and the other is a sport/4x4 and then do the shootout under the criteria of sport/4x4.

Old 10-04-2002, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

A majority of riders stay on trails and don't spend a lot of money on their quads so those two points (and everything that helps those 2 points) get weighed heavily in a shootout. I honestly agree that the Z400 is an all around better quad. I hated trail ridin my quad cause there's a lot of clutch work involved and the suspension is rough in the woods. Good thing I race though, cause I haven't ridden anything that I like more besides other (modded) C-dales. I thought the last shootout was BS because it was a track shootout and MX'ers aren't generally conserned about money AND it takes less $ to build a race ready C-dale than it does anything else (even less expensive than Carls way because he'll be spending a lot time tryin to fixed a cracked to hell 400ex frame). Also, nobody needs reverse for MX so I couldn't see the upside in that in their shootout.

Although I didn't read the whole shootout, I agree with their conclusion in this last one.

Old 10-04-2002, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Why in hell is everyone flipping out? Who cares who won. Read the article and find out what quad fits your needs the most, then go buy the quad and ride it. Christ people, you don't think the people who read this article skip the whole article and go straight to the end and say who ever wins this shootout gets my money. Damn.

Not all people are racers, high flying jumpers and so forth. Some people do like to trail ride and drive around in the pits and fool around.

Don't think that I have a Z is why I'm defending this article, I'm making a point. Everyone gets all upset of the end results from reviews, doesn't matter what quads are in the shoot out. Yes I do believe ads affect the outcome somewhat.

Maybe magazines shouldn't decide what quads are winners and loosers, maybe they should just review each bike and compare facts and provide results. So that we can decide on what to buy, hey wait one minute! They already do this! Its just the last paragraph that everyone should be ignoring.

Keep on bitching and complaining people.

Old 10-04-2002, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry Mr.bbertram sir.

Old 10-04-2002, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

haha....thats better....now scurry off to bed and think about what you did. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I just always hate reading negative comments on these forums, its seems like all posts on here are negative in one form or another. Its enough to drive a guy mad. Why do all the good forums turn out to be flame fest?

Old 10-04-2002, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

For those of you that don't think the Z or the KFX is in the same ballpark as a Cannon when comparing power haven't really been paying attention. If they weren't somewhat close the mags wouldn't have picked the Z.

For less than a grand you can add 40mm carb, cams, piston, and pipe{a little port and polish helps too} on your Z or KFX to hang or pass most Cannons. This set up surpasses stock and some pipped Raptors{which is what a Raptor needs to hang with a Cannon} so you know these 400's are in the same ballpark.

Old 10-04-2002, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

check with 14mins to verify my above post. My KFX will surprise you as it very much did 14mins. I really like it a lot more now that it has a bigger sack.

Old 10-04-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah but we're talking about 2 stock quads once you start modding them your not talking about the same quads in the article. My point is OK more people trail ride and ride recreationaly the Z400 fits the bill better than the C-Dale that's fine but if that isn't what the Dale is designed for it why judge it by that criteria? Better yet why have it win all the criteria just to declare it the loser?

Old 10-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Rodsquads, let me first say that I really do like the z's. I almost bought one. But I have been drag racing a lot here recently ant the z's that have bigger carbs, a full yoshumira exhaust and have been rejetted dont even come close to my cannibal with the moto map(a free service from most dealers) and a hmf pipe. There is even one with a 450 big bore kit that I have raced and although it was a lot closer, I have beat him every time. The z's are good all around machines, but when it comes to power they are not even close.

Old 10-04-2002, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

rodsquads yeah, but for a FREE download from c-dale (motto mapping) your piped/carb suzuki/kawasoki is eating dirt. remember, all these shoot outs are using the slowest of the cannondales. also, lets get to the point here. the shoot out was a high performance test between both quads. so, maybe the z400 needs to be in a sport quad class so it can compete with other slower quads with weak axles/shocks (they were using after market axles, wonder why?). no one here is complaning about the way the test were giving, but if you win every race then you should be the champion. this makes the second article/shoot out that the cannondale won the majority of the events and did not win. but you are right, read the article and you will know which quad to buy to fit your style. oh yeah, reverse is only needed when you line up next to a cannondale.

Quick Reply: ATV Action's z400 vs. Cannibal Shootout