KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Should I buy used???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 01:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy used???

Hello peoples...
My dealer has a mint 2001 FX400 with aftermarket exhaust and nerfs for $4500.00.
Here in AZ.; we can make our quads street legal. This bike was sold to a man in his 70's to do just that. He now realizes that it wasn't his best choice for a casual street cruiser. Is there any problems with these early models that should prevent me from buying it? Thanks in advance. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2002, 03:22 AM
Trailblazer

I own an fx myself and they had some problems with main bearings and the motors would just completly quit running, but they sent everybody new motors and computers for free, some people even got brand new 2002 models for free. So you need to ask them if it has a new motor in it, even if it does not I bet cannondale will hook you up because that is what kind of company they are.

Old 10-12-2002, 01:24 PM
Range Rover

I gotta' say that's a tough one there. The FX's were plagued. The spindles were supposed to be replaced under a recall and the motors changed as mentioned. Unless it's been changed, it'll have the 500 computer- which isn't a tragedy, it works just fine. But if your paying that much, it's a tough call. As I recall, I thought the unsold FX's were supposed to be sent back to the factory to be reconditioned and sold as a refurb. I'd be reluctant and do tyour homework beofore buying. Get the serial number from the quad and call Cannondale. They have records on the quad and can tell you some history about it and what may have been replaced.
1-800-motousa. IF the motor, spindles, rod ends, & chain slide have been replaced- I'd go for it. If not, I'd keep looking.

As a side note that doesn't help much, there was a dealer at Budd's Creek that had an '02 Cannibal with Ohlin's for sale at a reduced price. I don't remember exactly, might have been 59 or 6000, or something like that. The reason I say it doesn't help much is that I don't know the dealers name. Somebody else may. If your interested, you could call B.C. and find out what dealers were out there with displays. This dealer was located across from the Polaris truck.

Old 10-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

i believe east cost atv was right across from the polaris booth

Old 10-12-2002, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

It was East Coast ATV, they also had a Blaze for sale.

Old 10-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

yep and they had a couple of nice 250's one complete roll design and a polished stock. i bought the radials they had sitting there. 50 bucks for a almost new set

Old 10-13-2002, 02:21 PM
Range Rover

Thanks alot; guys. I have to say that this has been a great experience in this forum. I read alot of back posts and there doesn't seem to be alot of bashing going on in here like other forums.
I didn't buy the FX400 as I followed my gut instinct. I'll probably go for the Predator. For $5999.00; it sure does present a nice, complete package. Thanks again...