Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

???--2-stroke ban in 2006--???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???--2-stroke ban in 2006--???

i hear that 2-strokes r gittin banned in 2006. is it true?

Old 06-29-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

from what i hear, it is the sale of non- 'competition only' (designed for closed circuit competition courses only) two strokes that will be 'banned' unless they comply with new 2006 EPA regulations. if you have a prior yr two stroke you, will still be ok to ride unless prohibited by land owners ( i do know of a few places that will not let two strokes in now) and violation of US forrestry approved spark arrestor and db limitations.

Old 06-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

It's a big emissions thing. Doesn't matter if it's 2-stroke, 4-stroke, diesel etc. That's why you are seeing all the new diesels coming out. I.e. Ford Powerstroke 6.0L, new Cummins Turbo 600 in the Dodges as well as new big diesel motors for large trucks. Just making things cleaner.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

i have reasonabe doubt that manufacturers will fully ban two strokes and stop making them. I read an article about this and exactly what blackandredwarrior said, its all about emissions. Just straight up banning the production/use of two strokes would put thousands of people out of work. I think they are just going to work on making two strokes more economically friendly.

Old 07-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

i went riding monday and noticed a few trailblazers and they out out zero smoke but that was just with the naked eye. has polaris put anything in that gaint muffler to catch oil or was i just day dreaming

Old 07-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Air Cooled Rider

It's not up to the manufacturers to ban anything. This is coming down from Fed. EPA, IIRC. I'm assuming that there is legislation somewhere, maybe not. Environmental regulations do not take into account any harm they do to the economy. And on the opposite coin, with the reduction in production of 2-stroke motors would be an equal increase in production of 4-stroke motors. I'd call it a wash.

There are already several different technologies to make 2 strokes pollute much less, and in fact meet the emissions standards. I should qualify that the 2-strokes that we are talking about are what people see as being 2-stroke motors. Small displacement, lawn mower, ATV/MC, chain sawys, etc. There are very large displacement motors that are 2-strokes and have what people would think is a 4-strokes valvetrain. These are locomotive, marine (LARGE marine) and some stationary engines.

The problem with "current" 2-strokes is that they actually release unburnt fuel/oil mixture into the air through their exhaust. It's actually wasted money if you think about it. Both the intake and exhaust ports are open at the same time. THe fuel/air mixture goes right through the motor.

A properly tuned and running 2-stroke shouldn't be putting out any smoke. Many will when they are cold, but once they warm up everything clears up. (Warm fuel will burn better as it atomizes better). I also believe the Polaris 2-strokes are oil oil-injected, rather than pre-mixed.

Many of the marine outboard companies have either created, or licensed technology for 2-strokes that will allow them to run clean. Some have moved to using a direct injection type of system like diesels use. One I've seen using a very small piston running opposite to push an ultra-rich mixture into the cylinder that only has only air (no fuel) through a check valve. These motors would also have a seperate oil system like a 4-stroke.

That's the biggest problem with conventional 2-strokes is the lube oil in the fuel. Remove that and they clean up dramatically. Catalysts can also be used to help scrub the exhaust.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEWDUCK- my scrambler doesnt smoke when its warmed up

Old 07-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

where did you find this info? i ride a '01 kdx220 and i'm afraid i'll no longer be able to ride it on public land. i need to know if i need to get rid of it and buy a thumper, or if i'm ok.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Whether or not you will be able to ride of public land will be up to the local authority having jurisdiction. Check with them. AFAIK, CA won't be changing anything. But you don't have where you are from, so I have no clue.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanx. but how can i check with authority having juristiction on line to find out what's going on, or can i?