Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Beware in Broken Bow

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware in Broken Bow

A couple of us were in southeast Oklahoma over the weekend and rode the trails at Broken Bow. While there, we talked to a Game Ranger and found out some things that are kind of disturbing.

The old roads and ATV trails are no longer for ATV use. ATV's are to be ridden only on maintained roads. As he said, "if you wouldn't take your wife's car on it (the road), you can't take your ATV on it".
They (the forestry service &/or lumber companies) want the old, unmaintained roads to be reforested. That's not going to happen with constant traffic. Some riders, he said, have even been caught completely off the trails and riding "cross country" creating washouts and erosion problems.

He says that the regulations will be strictly enforced. There will be no slack for anyone caught riding where they aren't supposed to be. The worst offender's bikes will leave the area on a tow truck's hook. It's just not worth the cost, neither financially nor the aggravation. The fines are steep and bailing your quad out of jail is even worse. If we abide by the rules, we'll have no problems.

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm no tree hugger. On the other hand, I AM a pragmatist. As riders, our biggest gripe, across the board, is the lack of good places to ride. Doesn't it makes sense that if we want more trails, we need to take care of the ones we have?

Guys, he aint playing. And, he and his wife are riders too, so he reads these forums so becareful in your responses (I'm kidding). That said, I'll step off my soap box. I just wanted to give you a 'heads up'.

Keith

Old 07-27-2004, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer

dude i was at broken bow on springbreak when u go

Old 07-27-2004, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Pizzahutter,

The other day was my first trip to the trails at Broken Bow. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed. The ranger told us about some other trails we want to check out. If they aren't any better than the ones in the national forest, I won't be back.

Keith

Old 02-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

did you tell him your wife drove a jacked up 4X4? he peobably wouldnt find that funny but a thought. new riders get on those roads and tear them up so when the state vehicles use them they are mudded up and they think in terms of "if you abuse it, it will go away". It is sad and hope your next experences are better.

Iron

Old 02-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

I WAS DOWN THERE LAST YEAR AND STAYED AT MIKE COLLIES "PEACE OF MIND CAMP" WE WERE NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE TRAILS. HA! TRAILS? THOSE WERE ROADS. WE WERE LOOKING FOR SOME TECHNICAL STUFF AND ITS NOT THERE IF YOU OBEY THE LAWS. BEAUTIFUL AREA BUT FOREST SERV AND LUMBER WILL NOT HAVE IT WITH ATV USE "OFFROAD"
TOO BAD FOR OKLAHOMA...AGAIN.
I WONT GO BACK ;PLUS THE PEOPLE WE SAW IN HONOBIA DIDNT ACT LIKE THEY WANTED ANY "OUTSIDERS" IN THEIR TOWN.