Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Can ride double?

Old 08-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can ride double?

Hiya,

I just bought a new ATV Honda and my daughter and I love it! I was wondering if there was any laws in Michigan that say we cant ride double on ATV trails? (I know the manufactor says no doubles). I was thinking of heading to the Traverse City ones. I cant really afford 2 ATVs right now so I thought we could take turns out on the trails for some enjoyment. Also do the trails cost any money to ride on?

Appreciate any help on this topic as I am a newb at this whole thing.

Old 08-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Can ride double?

i'm not sure if you can ride double i have seen alot of people do it and it is free if it is on state land which i think traverse city is. what kind of ATV did you get? welcome to the forums

Old 08-08-2004, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Can ride double?

Nothing special I suppose. Its a Honda Recon ES 250. The 350 was only 400.00 more but just to big I thought for me (im female and new to this).

Looks like you got a cool Banshee [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for welcome and the reply

Old 08-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can ride double?

Legal or not, controling an ATV is often about subtle changes in body position and weight distribution. Sure, you can probably safely ride double on a flat, straight road, but out on the trail you need to be constantly moving around, adjusting to the terrain. That is difficult when you have a passenger, and the more technical the trail, the worse it will be!

Last time I was in Utah (it's illegal in California), I frequently saw 2 huge (mostly overweight) adults riding double. What a recipie for disaster!

Old 08-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Can ride double?

no problem ..I like the 250 recon.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Can ride double?

It is 100% ILLEGAL to operate an ATV IN MICHIGAN DOUBLE unless THE ATV HAS DESIGNED and MANUFACTURED ACCOMMODATIONS FOR SEATING for each passenger.

And currently,only Bombardier and Artic Cat make a LEGAL 2-up ATV.

Also,be advised that ANY youth who operates an ATV in Michigan that is under the age of 16,MUST provide PROOF that he/she has gone thru a State certified ORV safety course.

How do I know all this??Look Below,

Bill
Michigan ATV Safety Association-Instructor/Director
ATV Safety Institute-Instructor
Bombardier 2-up Instructor
E-mail haynez2@aol.com

Old 08-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Can ride double?

i don't know the laws in michigan but i ride double every time i'm out...fun stuff....u just gotta take it a little slower

Old 08-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Can ride double?

This is going to sound like "do as I say not as I do" but here goes. Riding doubles is not a good idea in general and is illegal where I live...but then just about everything is illegal where I live.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

With that said, I ride my 2-year old son in front of me all the time around my area. BUT...this is a 1st and 2nd gear ride only. We both have helmets, I always bring water and my cell phone, and I never go more than 2 or 3 miles from my home. I do this simply because my son is a helpless addict and it's a nice bonding time for us. Again, I am doing the very thing that I do not condon but I am being honest.

Last Saturday I ran into a couple of the off-road Sherrif patrols by my house while riding my son. They were responding to some called in complaints...not me. They asked me a few questions and I gladly answered. One of them informed me that it was not legal to ride doubles and I politely responded saying that I know that and realize I am risking a ticket but that my son lives for it so I take that chance. The other defended my position saying "well it's not like you're out here tearing it up or anything so I don't see much harm in it." They told me to have a nice day and rode off while my son waved and made motorcycle sounds. Anyway, I hope I didn't get too long winded I just thought I would share my experience. The law is there for obvious reasons...a lot people just don't know when to take it easy.

Old 08-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Can ride double?

Muddy4Life,

In viewing your credentials I have got 2 questions:

1) It is a Michigan Law on the books kind of law or you relaying what the manufactor says?

Also,be advised that ANY youth who operates an ATV in Michigan that is under the age of 16, MUST provide PROOF that he/she has gone thru a State certified ORV safety course.
How do you do that if any operator under the age of 16 is not suppose to ride one over 50cc? And if this is a law that is on the books how would they issue you a ticket if your age 11?

Reason I ask this after seeing your ocupation, when i bought my ATV they tried to sign me up for a 40.00 safety class.

Old 08-10-2004, 03:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Can ride double?

Poolplayr,
besides it being a manufacturers recommendation,it is also LAW in Michigan that you cannot ride an ATV double UNLESS that particular ATV has designed and manufactured accommodations for seating for each passenger.Each State varies with this law.

Now,it is also a law in Michigan that you go thru a state certified Off Road Safety Course and receive a certificate proving that you took this course if you are under the age of 16yrs old.The manufactures age/cc recommendations are posted below,

6-11yrs old,not over 69cc or less than 70cc
12-15yrs old,not larger than 90cc

These are MANUFACTURES RECOMMENDATIONS,and for the most part are VERY ridicules.Most of the manufactures will give the buyer of a new ATV a cash incentive to take a free ORV safety course,however,the rider MUST operate an ATV within the above age/cc recommendations in order to receive free training and their incentive.This course is offered thru the ATV Safety Institute [ASI].

Most youth are not operating an ATV within the manufactures guidelines and rightfully so.Lets say I get a youth that is 14yrs old and is riding a 250cc ATV,he does not qualify for the ASI free safety course and therefore would have to go thru my Mich ATV Safety Asssoc class to receive his ORV safety certificate.He CAN legally ride his 250cc with adult supervison once he completes this safety course.

Michigan and MOST States do not have CC engine sizes that a youth has to abide by.These are manufactures recommendations that the dealersip sales staff MUST follow,by order of the 1988 Consent Decree Agreement between the manufatures of ATVs and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Bill
Mich ATV Safety Assoc-Instructor/Director
ATV Safety Institute-Instructor
Bombardier 2-up Instructor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can ride double?