Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

How much sense does this make?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much sense does this make?

Ok, my dad bought a Polaris 600 Sportsman. See, heres the problem. Everytime I ask him if he wants to go riding on it, he says "no, i bought it for ice fishing" Everytime i want to use it to go out fourwheeling with friends he says "I bought that damn thing for ice fishing, I'm not going to let you take it out and F*** it up. Then i'll be sitting on it when it comes time for ice fishing" -exact words. Ok, Yes i'm a teenager, and no, i dont beat the crap out of a 6000 dollar fourwheeler. I dont think it makes sense to buy somthing like this SPECIFICALLY for icefishing, especially when my dad went ice fishing a total of 2 times last year (2003), 1 time in 2002, and probably hasent even been on frozen water from about 1985 till 2002. He just makes me so MAD. Like with our van, 98 dodge caravan, he wanted to save miles on it, so he bought a 94 ranger, well, now i primarily drive the ranger, and he gets pissed cause we "bought it to save miles on the van". You dont buy a vehicle (98 caravan) to sit in a garage and keep it low mileage, especially now that its paid for. I am Pissed, thanks for listening to my rant!

Old 08-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Environmentalist wackos what to rule the world, and you bother us with this??? Get a job and buy your own bike!

I have an old Caravan that I drive to "save miles on my Suburban".

Old 08-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm sorry if i wasted your time, i'm just so pissed he bought an atv to store in the garage for the rest of its life. I just needed to put it down somewhere. BTW, it must kinda stink living in california with all their emmissions restrictions, etc, i guess there arent as many wackos up where i live

Old 08-23-2004, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

PETER,
Its tough being a teenager sometimes.Im wondering what your age is?A 600cc Polaris is a very powerful quad and perhaps dad is watching out for your best interests?If your about 16yrs old and have the experience,get good grades in school,are not in trouble,finish your chores,than maybe its time for dad to lighten up a little bit with the quad and its for ''ICE FISHING ONLY''

You sure sound like a bright youngster to me and its a shame to keep such a nice ATV that has MANY capibilities,for ''ice fishing only''---I had a 500cc Polaris Sportsman and it would do anything you wanted it to do,from taking me on the ice,to trail riding and pulling a trailor load of firewood with it all day.I guess what im saying is that the 600 would surely appreciate a good workout once in awhile rather than collecting dust in the garage waiting for the ice to thicken.

Good Luck and no matter what,hang in their,it'll get better.

Bill
ATV Safety Instructor

Old 08-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, here in So. Calif., we have HUGE areas of land where we can ride (thousands of miles of bad a$$ desert cross-country!). Plus, I have 400 acres of private land, right behind my house. I see posts from Minnesota all the time complaining about no place to ride! But, I would guess New York and New Jersey are the worst????

Got my first job when I was 12, and never asked my folks for a single thing after that day!

Old 08-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, in MN, theres really no big areas of land to ride that are wide open, its just more or less trails in the woods. Its kinda fun making your own trails in the woods, winching logs out of the way, and such. Thats what me and my friend usually do. We really dont take the fourwheelers out wide open and drive like maniacs. I am 17 years old, I started mowing lawns when i was about 13 years old, usually 6 different ones per summer, and i got a job at the local hardware store when i was 14, so I am by no means a lazy bum who just sits around the house all day and expects my parents to buy me everything. Infact I am far from that. I wanted to buy a car and make the payments by myself, of course, there was one roadblock, My parents wouldnt let me do that. Basically thats the only thing i depend on them for is a vehicle and a place to stay. Otherwise i pay for gas, cellphone bill, vehicle repairs/maintainence, and basically everything else an adult would need. Thats half the reason i get mad when they say i drive the truck to much, because they wont let me buy a vehicle of my own, and I Need a vehicle to drive to work, so thats kind of a problem.

Old 08-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

at least make him put it up on jack stands, put a tablespoon of oil down the spark plug hole and have him turn it over for a few seconds, drain the carb, drain the gas tank, ect...

not using it is one thing but having a beautiful machine deteriorate and turn to crap is another.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think Peter needs to copy the posts in this Forum and leave it in a place where dad can READ it..And no dad,im not a teenager,im a 47 yr old FATHER that has been married for 25yrs,has a 24yr old son and an 18yr old daughter.I also instruct the safe and responsable use of ATVs to all ages.

Sounds to me like you have a great kid here.

Bill
ATV Safety Instructor

Old 08-24-2004, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Peter94
Yeah, in MN, theres really no big areas of land to ride that are wide open, its just more or less trails in the woods. Its kinda fun making your own trails in the woods, winching logs out of the way, and such. Thats what me and my friend usually do. We really dont take the fourwheelers out wide open and drive like maniacs. I am 17 years old, I started mowing lawns when i was about 13 years old, usually 6 different ones per summer, and i got a job at the local hardware store when i was 14, so I am by no means a lazy bum who just sits around the house all day and expects my parents to buy me everything. Infact I am far from that. I wanted to buy a car and make the payments by myself, of course, there was one roadblock, My parents wouldnt let me do that. Basically thats the only thing i depend on them for is a vehicle and a place to stay. Otherwise i pay for gas, cellphone bill, vehicle repairs/maintainence, and basically everything else an adult would need. Thats half the reason i get mad when they say i drive the truck to much, because they wont let me buy a vehicle of my own, and I Need a vehicle to drive to work, so thats kind of a problem.
Sounds to me like your dad's a tight-a$$, sorry to say. That's not a very nice way to live, BUT, keep in mind that these things are THEIRS and not YOURS, and there's no obligation on their part to provide you with vehicular transport of any kind. Having said that though, you certainly seem a responsible young man and are quite willing to buy your own vehicle, so I don't understand your parent's standpoint. Chin-up Peter, if you're 17 now, they won't be able to stop you from doing anything next year as you'll be a legal adult (at least around here you would be .. )

Old 08-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

don't second guess the man who supports you and your family until you support them as well

his life lessons have probably taught him to behave like this and he probably cant afford to take the risk

sit down and communicate with him what your desires are and what you need to do to help the family out and possibly earn your fathers respect to ride his "toy"

Quick Reply: How much sense does this make?