Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

closing down our public lands?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2000, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to admit that i am not the moxt informed person on this topic, but from what i do know i am not too impressed!
the other day i was in my local polaris dealership and saw a map of Idaho (where i live) and all the proposed areas that "SLICK WILLIE" and them darned "tree huggers" want to shut down. I don't remember the exact number of acres, but it was over a MILLION! It seems like around nine million acres if my memory serves me well, and that is just in Idaho.
It seems that they are wanting to gate off MANY of the roads accessing our public lands, keeping out all motorizes vehicles (i.e. quads, motorcycles, jeeps, and believe it or not even snowmobiles!). i don't know about everybody reading this, but i am an avid hunter (of deer and elk) and use many of these roads and trailways to access the areas where i hunt. it seems to me if many of these areas are closed off the areas that are still easilly accessed will be very much over-run with hunters! Therefore reducing your chances of harvesting the game we seek. also, the herds that don't get hunted as heavy as before may become overpopulated.
Please let me and the rest of us outdoors men and women know what other information or input you may have. Thank you...concerned ATV enthusiast.

------------------
chris mattox 99 scrambler 400 4x4 / 98 300 express

Old 01-30-2000, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

I believe this is refered to as an end run, or going in the back door. I think that you are partially on target with you assumption. Eliminate the access to hunting you eliminate the numbers of those that hunt, thus eliminating the numbers of those who will purchase guns.

If you can't get to it the way you want, then do it anyway you can philosophy.

Remember tread lightly and don't give them a reason to further eliminate our lands.

------------------
<HTML> <HEAD> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252"> <META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97"> <TITLE>sig</TITLE> <META NAME="Template" CONTENT="C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\html.dot"> <

Old 02-02-2000, 10:23 AM
Range Rover

I'm personally not into hunting, but I love to ride and I hate to see all this happening. Al Gore is very much an environmentalists and he may go even further with slick willie's land grab. What can you do? I'd recommend that you join the Blue ribbon Coalition. You can find their web site in the "links" section of atv connection. Everyone should join! You may also want to consider joining the AMA. They don't seem to give a damn about ATV's, but they work towards keeping the trails opened for dirt bikes.

Bruce
2000 Banshee
99 400EX
99 Wolverine

Old 02-02-2000, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Yes its all true. They are talking about 6 million acres being affected in minnesota. I sent e-mails to bill, gore, mike dombeck the forest service chief. My senators, and reps.
Bill even lightly mentioned it in his recent state of the union speech. If he gets everything he wants. The face of america and how we outdoor enthusists recreate will change for ever.

------------------