Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Trash

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005 | 03:06 PM
|
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default Trash

Just got back from a trip to Glamis. My extended family and I have a total of 15 atvs and we leave the camp better than when we got there. That is not the case with a lot of ATV people. Trash and glass bottles everywhere. Who do they think is going to clean it up? Some people think they are OK because they heap all the trash in a pile and leave it. Dumont, Pismo, Sand Mtn; they are the same or worse. The only place we have gone that was not too bad was the dune areas in Oregon. I wish there was a way to catch the offenders and make them pay for cleanup. If we as a group don't do something fast about the problem, the government will and it will be more closures! Personally, I think they should raise the camping fees to include a cleanup fee and logoed trash bags. When you turn in your trash bag, you will get a credit towards your next visit. Any one else have any ideas?

Old 11-30-2005 | 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Trash

How about a deposit and if you leave your camp site a mess than you dont get that money back.

Old 11-30-2005 | 06:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Trash

That's it brother. Hit'em where it hurts, right in the wallet!!!!

Old 12-01-2005 | 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Trash

Cardiac, I applaud your efforts to keep things clean where you have tread.. but I have to ask what did you do when you saw others not be as responsible? After all, change is going to have to start with you and me.... or it won't go anywhere.

Old 01-08-2006 | 02:12 PM
Range Rover
Default Trash

It seems like every time we go out I am picking up some Idiots trash.We went camping last year here in Wa. and I cleaned up two camp sites.Even if there is free campsites I think you should still have to register.If you leave it a mess you should receive a ticket in the mail,or not be able to camp there again!If you see people doing it turn their butts in to the orv enforcment or the sheriff or whatever!Some people have no respect.Things get closed because of this.And then they turn around and whine and wonder why?

Old 01-08-2006 | 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Trash

Originally posted by: bank
That's it brother. Hit'em where it hurts, right in the wallet!!!!
Same goes for off-trail behavior resulting in fines and impoundments.
The only reason this isn't happening now....is that most clubs don't want to be perceived as being allied with the law or folks losing their machines (my favorite)...which would trickle down into fewer membership dues sent in only by "squares" that actually believed in true enforcement.

Put bank's right on the money assesment above up on any local atv forum in this country....and you'd be surprised at the number of people who talk one way....yet act quite another when the time comes to actually fight for this kind of legislation.(which is the only way, as some of you others have mentioned...that any of this will <U>ever</U> get solved in a completely disjointed and almost totally unresponsive orv community).

Old 01-09-2006 | 07:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Trash

i always pick up trash in the campsites and on the trails and pack it out. it makes me mad when i make it back to the trailhead with garbage bungied on all over my atv. i went to Moab last year and was impressed. with all of the traffic their trails get, i could only find a few items each day to pack out.
some of this stuff is obviously accidently lost, but the beer cans and candy bar wrappers are just thrown on the ground and left. i'm pretty sure the backpacker that walked twenty miles in to a lake diddn't pack a twelve pack in and throw the cans on the ground, and i'm pretty sure he knows how they got there too. then we all look bad.
lets all try to do better. i'm sure the worst offenders arn't the type that read this board, but the backpacker will view us all the same.

monty