Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

West Virginia Troopers want ATV's banned from roads

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West Virginia Troopers want ATV's banned from roads

They only see the isiots and not the tons of good riders

Old 01-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hers an idea make us our own lanes or roads [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]I rode a lot of miles in WV last year...99 percent of the atv'er we encounter are very safe and courteous riders...It seems like holiday weekends brings out the idots...We have been stopped on the trails ,roads etc with our familys and a group of young riders will go flying right through our riders standing by the atv's..(at very high rate of speed)..Luckly we normally can ride all day and never encounter more the three,four other riders.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Oh yeah Hunter, that would go over really well. I can't even imagine the complaints we would get spending tax dollars to create quad lanes. Heck, I'd be glad to get funds to build trails in the woods, I can't even comprehend why a person would want to ride on the road other than to go into town for a bite to eat and some fuel. I agree with most here, that most riders are courteous enough to use caution. But it is that idiot element with their go fast until I die attitude that hurts us all.

I am not picking on the younger generation, but it sure would be nice to find a young person out on the trails that is grown up enough to recognise that if they want to continue to have a sport, the change has to start with them. Those of us graybeards on this list, have all been there, done that too, and we are trying our darndest to make up for our transgressions. It's a vicious circle that keeps repeating itself every generation or two. I sure wish I could save you a lot of grief. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way I guess.

I shouldn't say that ... I find a lot of young persons who do care, and are trying to do their part out there. I guess us old farts need to stop finger pointing and criticizing and give them a pat on teh back and pitch in to help when we see it. You got my support der sport...

Old 01-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dragginbutt I was only kidding that is what the wink was for. I fell the same way. I believe that ATVs and roads dont mix.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Oh yeah Hunter, that would go over really well. I can't even imagine the complaints we would get spending tax dollars to create quad lanes. Heck, I'd be glad to get funds to build trails in the woods, I can't even comprehend why a person would want to ride on the road other than to go into town for a bite to eat and some fuel. I agree with most here, that most riders are courteous enough to use caution. But it is that idiot element with their go fast until I die attitude that hurts us all.

I am not picking on the younger generation, but it sure would be nice to find a young person out on the trails that is grown up enough to recognise that if they want to continue to have a sport, the change has to start with them. Those of us graybeards on this list, have all been there, done that too, and we are trying our darndest to make up for our transgressions. It's a vicious circle that keeps repeating itself every generation or two. I sure wish I could save you a lot of grief. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way I guess.

I shouldn't say that ... I find a lot of young persons who do care, and are trying to do their part out there. I guess us old farts need to stop finger pointing and criticizing and give them a pat on teh back and pitch in to help when we see it. You got my support der sport...
Thats basically it..I'm 15, I do stupid stuff ( I just said I was 15 ). But I always wear a helmet, and I never attempt something I can't do ( though that is growing smaller and smaller every time I ride ). I'm sure I go faster than most people would recommend, but I realize when I CAN go that fast, and when I CAN'T go that fast.

I realize that not everyone my age is the same way, just like everyone older is not the same way. All age groups got the smart ones ( the majority ) and the idiots. Though I don't think age has a whole lot to do with it. I'm 15, but I've got a better grip on life than a lot of people twice my age.

Ready to get flamed...

Old 01-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

hey no offense intended or taken... You are right, for every idiot there are many good people out here. You only hear teh bad stuff in the media. You never hear teh good stuff because good riders are usually invisible. AND it doesn't sell papers.

I have to admit I used to go faster than I do today. And I have the broken bones, scraped body parts, and the years spent with my jaw wired to prove it. We know where you are coming from. ALthough I have to admit, these things have gotten way out of hand. Let me tell you something though, I bet you would have just as much fun on a 200 class machine as you have on a 600. I remember the days of the ATC90 3 wheeler that started it all. A death trap slug that you could almost walk as fast as it went... but man did we have fun on them...

I like kids.. really I do. I have 3 of them... but 2 are grown, and the youngest.. well he is a very important part of my world right now... Like I said... errr I like kids...