Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Very New Rider...Already Encountering Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very New Rider...Already Encountering Problems

I am in So Cal, where atv trails are almost non-existent, and what few parks they do have is closed anytime they get a little rain. In nor cal I am told you can ride on the fire roads up in the hills, but I have never done so. Back home I can ride right in town, and even ride to the next town and park in front of the bank. Makes it nice to be able to drive to the gas station, cafe', or whatever. Of course, with all of the liberals here we are lucky to be able to ride anywhere.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me tell you about politicians... Take it from someone who has spent the last 17 years as a paid consultant to the Federal Government. I have seen a lot of politicos come and go. One thing that is consitant, no matter which side of the aisle they are on, is the practice of risk avoidance. They are NOT going to propose laws that take our side... No, they are going to listen to Joe Landowner who has a problem with ATV riders. The best way for them to solve the problem is to do away with ATV's altogether, or severely restrict them by keeping kids under 16 off of them by law... It is happening as we speak.. so keep this in mind next time you **** someone off with your riding style, or tresspass on their land etc. They hold all the cards, and you and I are going to be on the receiving end... Now, if you want to sit on the couch playing with your WII instead of riding, OK... but that is where we are going to end up if people like you and I don't wake up and take action to turn all this around.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

It boils down to respect. If you wouldn't like it if I came over to your house and helped myself with your game system, ordered a pizza, watched a little TV, or maybe took a dip in your pool without asking,,, don't come to my house and ride around my land! And it really doesn't end with just atvs as far as that goes. I wouldn't take too kindly to someone driving a car, out for a stroll, riding a bike, skateboarding, or even taking a nap on my land, lol.

I can understand being a kid with lots of time with nothing productive to do and no where to ride that is fun. I used to do my fair share of riding w/o asking too when I was younger. And no amount of schooling would have ever stopped me... I knew it was wrong... Its only when I got my own land did I feel "territorial" when I saw someone riding w/o asking. And I really can't explain why... I guess it goes back to someone coming in my house and watching TV w/o asking. Just something about that I don't like... Even if they mean no harm and are very friendly. Now, if someone would ask first, I would probably say, "yeah go ahead, but watch out for this n that and be careful." But since they don't ask, some reason I want to kill the little sob's, lol. I've thought long n hard about "why" I feel like that (besides liability issues), but can't figure it out well enough for words. Life would be so much easier if I didn't care.

Animals are the same way. Dogs don't like strange dogs coming around. Cats don't like strange cats coming around. I don't think any animal likes another of its kind coming around. But once they know each other, suddenly its ok to come around. Humans, it seems, are no different.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with you whole heartedly there... Respect is something that is earned, and is something that should be given away for free. Unfortunately, we don'e see a lot of that these days.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The problem (or at least one of them) is no one takes any kind of parenting class before having kids. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] And I've noticed the number of kids one has is inversely proportional to one's education. That may or may not be statistically correct,,, but it sure seems like it is.

Maybe instead of requiring ATV training courses, we require "kid raising" courses or face losing your kids! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] That would sure nip a lot of problems in the bud, LOL. Of course, who decides what is to be taught??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Btw, I know some states used to sterilize people that were, shall we say,,, intellectually disadvantaged. Seen that on the history channel and I must say I was shocked to learn we had a few Hitlers running around the states here for a while.

States (27) that had sterilization laws still on the books (though not all were still in use) in 1956 were: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah,Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization

I tell ya one thing... We'd have a bunch of geniuses running around if you had to study really hard to keep your jewels off the choppin block! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

And less sex offenders too....

Old 02-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

LOL

Old 02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer

So, compulsory sterilization was true....how does that explain Reality TV?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Tom D

Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

hmmm, I don't think I have a snappy answer that is politically correct on that one.... I can think of a lot of unkind things to say, but wisdome born of age tells me to keep the trap shut this time... I think I'll let others have a go at this, eh?

Old 02-26-2008, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I love ATVs it is awesome to be able to go so many places with the power of an ATV. Heres a rule of thumb, if it's not your land and you do not have permission to ride on it, do not ride on it. It is hard to resist, but you will never go wrong.

Quick Reply: Very New Rider...Already Encountering Problems