Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

WOW I thought we had it bad in Utah

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW I thought we had it bad in Utah

But looking at posts from you guys out east, we have no problems.

I can leave my house on the bike, ride for as long as I want and never trailer the bike anywhere. If I do ride in town for gas/food, cops just wave.

Sorry to hear you guys are in such a bind out there.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea i spent a night in jail for riding on a dirt road in alabama!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tyler0421

Yea i spent a night in jail for riding on a dirt road in alabama!</end quote></div>

FOR REAL????? man that sucks, we can ride all day long on dirt roads / gravel, even In town so long as we have a flag and a city permit. Just cant ride on the highway but any secondary road is fine.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Almost got two tickets (son and I). I got really turned around, went down the "Trail of Death", mangled some of my plastic, went a few more miles down the same trail, lightning storm opened up on us, and was basically very lost. Crossing a road (legal to do) I saw blue lights. Went to them figuring the cop would know how we could get back to where we parked. He was going to give us two $120 tickets for riding on a public road (I don't usually unless it's legal on the road). I begged, told him how bad the day had gone already, and prayed. He let us off with a warning after checking to see if we had any prior issues.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

we can ride on dirt roads here in florida but not highways and i don't think it would go iver to well riding them in town

Old 08-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've ridden in VT where it is legal to go down some backroads that are opened by the individual towns. But, you have to get liability insurance so I don't go up there anymore. NH allows it on some roads on a town by town basis and as a trail connector more than an open road.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

Here in Arizona you must have it registered and insured, rear view mirror, horn, high and low beam head light, break light and white light to illuminate the license plate in the dark. DMV doesn't inspect to see if everything is installed, they don't even care. I ride my ATV to work almost every day through town. I don't hall my quads around anymore either, just leave from the house and hit the trails on the other side of town. Police and Sheriff could care less.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mile High

Here in Arizona you must have it registered and insured, rear view mirror, horn, high and low beam head light, break light and white light to illuminate the license plate in the dark. DMV doesn't inspect to see if everything is installed, they don't even care. I ride my ATV to work almost every day through town. I don't hall my quads around anymore either, just leave from the house and hit the trails on the other side of town. Police and Sheriff could care less.</end quote></div>

Must be nice! I work 20 miles from home so i wouldn't bew able to do that everyday anyways!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

I work about 7 miles from home, but its all gravel roads and very dusty, that and the fact I have to wear a shirt / tie to work makes it a no go on riding to work myself.

If I didnt have to wear that get up I would ride to work alot.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

I live 5 miles from work, all pavement though my house is in more of a wooded rural area. We get thunder showers in the afternoons and I have been dowsed a few times going home...those big rain drops hurt when they hit you in the face doing about 45mph. Don't care if I get wet going home, just don't want to get soaked going to work.

I started ridding the ATV (instead of driving my truck) because of the price of gas...figure I save about $30 a week.

Quick Reply: WOW I thought we had it bad in Utah