Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Thinking outside the box -

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking outside the box -

Here's something that came to me as I read about the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) on the Minnesota/Ontario border. No motorized traffic is allowed there. You can't even fly over it in a plane. Thousands of people from all over the country and the world go there to camp and paddle around the area's hundreds of lakes.

It's a wild and remote area, but keeping it from becoming overcrowded required a reservation system to be established a few years ago. Then, so many people wanted reservations that now the only way to get one is to win it in a lottery like an elk tag.

That kind of popularity may be indicative of the pressure our public officials feel from people wanting to experience non-motorized areas. They seem to be making progress, as shown by all the postings on this site about trail closings and anti-ATV laws.

I'm thinking that one strategy for ATV'ers would be to generate a high profile in supporting the establishment of wilderness areas...when there are nearby areas of equal size for ATV trail systems.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking outside the box -

One idea I guess... My thinking is still tied to teh almighty dollar. Revenues are going to drive this. Loss of revenue will get someone's attention real quick.