Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

ATV's & Roalroad Beds

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:15 PM
no1
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in the north east alot of people use the rr bed/bike path. Even I bring the kids there to go for a bike ride. Sometimes after work or on the weekend the bike path parking lots can be full and you have to park on the side of the road. Around here the old rr beds you can still ride a atv on get a lot of use on the weekend. But I think the problem is people around here dont use the rr beds as trails. We use them to get to different riding spots and trail systems. Personally I think riding on the rr beds is kinda boring because they are flat and predictable. But they get me places (illegal places). Thats the other problem.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer

riding on old r/r grades can be boring! but what's worse than crusing and old r/r grade at 35-40 mph? ....... WALKING IT!

i cant for the life of me, see why in the world they want to keep these old grades reserved for foot travel and non-motorised travel! my god.... why not hike or mtn bike on a nice wooded trail somwhere? riding a mtn bike on a straight flat grade for miles on end... now that's BORING!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

There have been many good comments in this thread, however for those of us that have been here for a while, it has to seem like Deja Vu'. The same arguments, the same problems with idiot riders, the same noise issues etc. The bottom line as many have put it is that as a group, there has to be an organized response. The snowmobile guys have many more years on us and way better prepared. The ATV crown naturally feel that they are on the same side of the issue as the Snomobile guys and have been riding the freight train for free. That only goes so far though. Plus you have to remember that the snowmobile guys ride with several inches of snow underneath them, so they do not have the damage issues we face.

I feel the solution is two fold. First, we all need to be much more responsible in our riding if we expect to be able to ride 20 years from now. Training is important, but acting responsibly is the key, and along with that, we MUST begin self policing our sport. Let the punks, and idiots know that it is NOT OK to be stupid.

Secondly, if we stand alone on these issues, we are already defeated. The only way to attack this is to join our voices together and present a block of votes to the decision makers. They tend to take notice when several hundred votes walk into their meetings. Don't forget that there are several national and state organizations that DO take on the subjects and DO argue our position. Join them and support them with a contribution so they can continue their work. $10 is a small amount to pay considering the work they are accomplishing. You just spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on your machine, why can't you spend $10 to help keep a local trail system open?

In my life time, I have seen an entire class of machines eliminated with a stroke of a pen. (3-wheelers). I have seen people working with local and state government officials create massive trail systems like the Hatfield/McCoy, or the Paiute trail in Utah, or the Silver country in Idaho. The system works. But you have to get involved.

Don't complain if you find yourself having to drive 4 or more hours to ride your machines if you don't take the time now. That membership fee doesn't seem so bad now does it?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Funride, you have never been to Wisconsin then... They have this BIG group of bike riders that just feel they own the RR road beds. They don't like to share. The Ex Govenor was one of the big advocates.