Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Be careful what you say

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
I find it amazing that although we know that hunters can and do as much damage as an ATV, and hikers will leave little gifts of trash as much if not more than the average ATV rider, nobody wants to shut down hunting, or stop the trail walkers. Seems a bit unfair.

I completely disagree that hunters “do as much damage as an ATV.” There is no way that a hunter walking in the woods is causing anywhere near as much damage as even a responsible ATV rider will cause. The average hunter as FAR better steward of the forests (or other areas) than the average ATV rider – it’s not even a close call.

I also disagree that “nobody wants to shut down hunting” but that’s a whole ‘nother topic…

Last edited by User492; 03-26-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the average ATV rider needs to quit relying on the avid riders to pick up after them. the avid ATV rider should be a good steward of the environment of which they ride and partake of. most don't. only a few. this is a sad situation. in other posts, i've said "i teach my kids to pack out more than they've packed in". meaning, pick up the trash, even if it ain't your trash. take care of riding places or there won't be any riding places.
HUNTING, most hunters are the epitome of stewardship. planting food plots, helping the gene pool, conservation, Oh, the list goes on and on. (and yeah, in case you couldn't tell, i enjoy and support hunting). but the footprint should still be like the motto, "tread lightly". most "kids" today just wanna cut donuts and shoot rooster tails, Ok, do it in the sand, NOT the grassy areas.......anyways, that's my two cents, sorry if it was a nickel's worth.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trash and animals, 't and a'

Lot of that trash may never go away because there is no 'away.' A racoon with a beer can for a leg is a pathetic sight, or a deer with coils of wire around its leg. Yep the garbage stays and the trash drives away. In my hunt club it seems every time a hunter stops he sees it as opportunity to empty the garbage from his vehicle - an offense for which the club could loose its lease. Some folks were born pigs, others have to work to achieve that status.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by oldbob
Lot of that trash may never go away because there is no 'away.' A racoon with a beer can for a leg is a pathetic sight, or a deer with coils of wire around its leg. Yep the garbage stays and the trash drives away. In my hunt club it seems every time a hunter stops he sees it as opportunity to empty the garbage from his vehicle - an offense for which the club could loose its lease. Some folks were born pigs, others have to work to achieve that status.

It sounds like you and other members of your club are failing to police your own members. I won't allow any one who dumps trash to hunt anywhere near me, and those that are pigs are that way because other people allow it, which makes them - and you - equally guilty. Time to either man up and confront them or find another place to hunt - if in fact you are even a hunter, which I doubt because in my experience slob hunters are few and far between, and the vast majority who are not don't put up with it.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Range Rover

I dont leave any trash behind or anything. But I do like to rip it up and if there is allready a trail its hard to make worse unless your doin burnouts in creeks otherwise I dont give a crap..

Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

Originally Posted by DeeDawg
(Old post I know) Wardens are not allowed on private land w/o permission, and if I were doing anything illegal they would fine me besides which - salt is not illegal up there. Not a lot of "animals rights types" up there 'cause it's all farm land and strangers would get noticed.
The animal rights thing was probably a stretch. But, game wardens can go on private land in performance of their duties. You could find this out firsthand if you try growing mj. As for salt blocks, I see that they are legal in Minnesota. But, isn't it more likely the deer ate them than an ATV'er stole them?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by ryder133
I dont leave any trash behind or anything. But I do like to rip it up and if there is allready a trail its hard to make worse unless your doin burnouts in creeks otherwise I dont give a crap..
you mean you don't care about other peoples property? I myself do I try to make the trail better but people trash them they are what ruin our hobby

Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You people must have different country down there. Up here (Northern Ontario Canada) the trails will wreak your ATV before the ATV will wreak the trails, and there is no riding off the trails because the bush is so thick you would be lucky to walk through it let alone ride through it.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60
game wardens can go on private land in performance of their duties. You could find this out firsthand if you try growing mj.
Thats incorrect - they can go on private property with probable cause but cannot arbitrarily enter private land.

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60
As for salt blocks, I see that they are legal in Minnesota. But, isn't it more likely the deer ate them than an ATV'er stole them?
There is no way way possible that deer "ate" six large salt blocks in as many days. Even a herd of cattle couldn't do it.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

Originally Posted by DeeDawg
Thats incorrect - they can go on private property with probable cause but cannot arbitrarily enter private land.

I wouldn't advise anyone to believe they are beyond the reach of law enforcement as long as they are on private property.

There is no way way possible that deer "ate" six large salt blocks in as many days. Even a herd of cattle couldn't do it.
I'll agree with that. But just because you have bad neighbors, you really shouldn't apply their actions to ATV'ers in general. Be careful what you say.

Quick Reply: Be careful what you say